• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Brother Collab

ryanzdawson

Dreamer
My brother suggested that he and I collaborate to write a story. I am not very good at collaborating. My process is self-contained. Plus, I'm an experienced writer and my brother has never tried to write a story before. Nonetheless, I agreed to do it.

We have a Google Drive file. We agreed we would add to it every Sunday. So far, all of his ideas have been about the setting. He has written about various races and lands. He has some trouble with reading and writing so his writeups are a little confusing. He also misunderstands my writeups sometimes. I don't know whether or not he's on the spectrum, like me, but I know he does have a learning disability of some kind. That's ok.

I've contributed to the set design he wants to do. I even drew a map. We've gotten the worldbuilding to a good level.
Now I'm ready to plot. I wrote a rough outline, but he hasn't added to our shared file in a month. He has always been bad at staying in touch. He lived abroad for many years so we aren't close. And I'm disinclined to reach out. It's part of my autism. Sometimes people need to be bumped to attention - like the jukebox Fonzie used to knock to get it to play. I'm bad at interpreting such situations, and when I don't know what to do, I do nothing or I just keep doing one thing forever. I suspected this partnership would be unproductive. I'm not disappointed or anything.

Ok this post is over. It's not a question or anything. I'm just talking about what's happening in my writer's life right now.

Reactions: Mia