• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bs' Sketches

TheKillerBs

Maester
I was in the mood for drawing tonight, so I took some pencil and paper and sketched up some of the animals of my conworld, and I thought I'd share. :D
cwfauna.jpeg

They were drawn to scale (1:40/5cm=2m/3"=10') but unfortunately, scanning messed with that.

Anyway. On the far left is a sabre-toothed bear standing on its hind legs. Ended up with a walrus face, unfortunately. Standing like that, it's 3.2 m (10 1/2 feet) tall. It would be 1.8 m (5'11") on all fours.

To its right is a golden panther - basically a lion with a full-body mane, only bigger than a tiger, being 1.6 m (5'2") at the shoulder. I don't like how its face ended up either. I've drawn it better before.

On the foreground is a long-necked lizard, which was my brilliant attempt at giving a miniature sauropod a name that fit the setting. Its 4 m (13'1") long and .6 m (2') tall at the shoulders. Also, it's a farm animal, raised for meat, eggs, and hide.

Behind the lizard is a desert rhinoceros. It has ram horns so it can slam into things and they curve outwards so they won't kill it. That actually only just occurred to me as I was drawing it. It's 2 m (6'7") tall at the shoulder, roughly the same as a real-world white rhinoceros. Only these rhinoceroses have magical hides that are impervious to cutting or stabbing. They were domesticated by the nomads of the desert.

To its right are a sand centipede and a sand scorpion. This particular centipede is probably somewhere between the 4-4.8 m (13'1"-15'9") range in length. The scorpion is 1 m (3'3") tall at the top of its exoskeleton and 6.2 m (20'4") long from pincers to stinger. That stinger is nasty, 20 cm long (about 8 inches). It can kill a man just with the stab, doesn't even need the venom, which both animals have. They are the apex predators of their habitat, the Sea of Sands, which they share with the desert rhinoceros. They're also the reason why the rhinos have their magical hides.

And finally, the huge hairless ape thing on the back is a troll. Its eyes came out more human than I expected. It's about 5 m (16'5") tall at the shoulders on all fours. They can't rear up on their hind due to their size. They're used by one civilisation as a war beast. They put a platform on its shoulders, on which they carry archers as well as catapults such as ballistae or onagers. They're used more for intimidation than for any practical reason, though, and they eat.