• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Burned all my notebooks...

As DDN said, the best parts will remain in your memory anyway.

I'd not be concerned. Indeed, I'd suggest the will destroy is inspired by the fact you've probably grown as a writer and can now see the fundamental flaws (that are always there in early work) that you couldn't see before.

Move on. You'll remember anything worth recycling.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I often take a flame thrower to my notes if I'm not happy with them or I've realised they serve no further use for them (and yes I do mean that literally). Sadly, the problem is that once they've been added to the greenhouse gases already circulating in the atmosphere I can't bring them back if I have second thoughts.

Don't worry though. Anything worth remembering will remain in your mind and if you need to rediscover something there's always Google, Bing, Quora, Wikipedia and all those other Silicon Valley websites to point you somewhere vaguely in the right direction.

Ashor Olux

Acolyte
I often take a flame thrower to my notes if I'm not happy with them or I've realised they serve no further use for them (and yes I do mean that literally).

Haha, I love this. It makes me feel like I should have gone out in style. Instead, I just tossed them onto the fire that was barely a lick of flame. It took a lot of time to burn them.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Haha, I love this. It makes me feel like I should have gone out in style. Instead, I just tossed them onto the fire that was barely a lick of flame. It took a lot of time to burn them.

A friend made a flame thrower to light his pot belly stove but I found it has other uses as well. I'm not sure if it's a flame thrower in the true sense of the word but that's the best way to describe it.

elemtilas

Inkling
Ouch. Trust me, you shouldn't have done that. You'll regret it later. Even if what you made sucked, you'll want to go back to it someday and see how much you've improved, or even to better your previous work.

But, what's done is done. You can always try something new. If you're here, I'm guessing you're looking to start on a new project. Start with a simple idea. What interests you? What sort of stories do you like? Do you have a concept you want to explore? A character whose journey you want to follow?

Totally agree. Having tossed some old, extremely juvenile, stories & pictures, later I wished I hadn't!