• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Clothing

BJ Swabb

Sage
Hey yall! So I've looking into clothing for my characters and I'm trying to figure out what my main character Damien should wear on his new adventure. Another quest in which he needs to stay hidden but still hold that royal tone in his appearance. I don't want him in bright kingly colors but don't want him to look so much like a ranger either. Any suggestions?

Clothing is very important - it tells people who you are, whether your clothes reflect that or not. If he’s wanting to hide then I think the clothes of a wanderer or a peasant would be ideal.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
With a name like Damian, black leather and tattered red (maroon). Maybe a dark cloak to hide it all.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The best way to stay hidden is to be seen, but to be seen as something other than what you are. If he's truly going to stay hidden, then he's unseen and it doesn't matter what he wears.

With that in mind, I would consider what he will be doing. Does he need to move in the halls of power? Hang out with bankers? Pass himself off as a ship captain?

The role will dictate the costume. Just remember, if he's truly living in a role, he'll need multiple changes of appropriate clothing, which means a place to keep it all.

BJ Swabb

Sage
So he is just trying to stay out of sight because he'll be in enemy Territory most of the novel and he is a great threat to the Demon King so particular clothing is needed, but he is also traveling to reassemble peace with tribes and clans of different races as he travels so he needs to at least be seen with authority as king of his land as well. But skip you have a good point of him having multiple outfits in which he does have in his magic satchel (kind of like Hermione's magic bag she carries in deathly hallows.) But I want Damien to have one main outfit he wears on this journey into the Shadowlands

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
The best way to stay hidden is to be seen, but to be seen as something other than what you are. If he's truly going to stay hidden, then he's unseen and it doesn't matter what he wears.

With that in mind, I would consider what he will be doing. Does he need to move in the halls of power? Hang out with bankers? Pass himself off as a ship captain?

The role will dictate the costume. Just remember, if he's truly living in a role, he'll need multiple changes of appropriate clothing, which means a place to keep it all.
Agreed here. What do most of the folks wear where he is traveling? You wouldn’t want to dress to stand out, so he wouldn’t want to dress like someone who is rich, unless he is mingling with nobles or rich people. But also you wouldn’t want to dress as someone dark and mysterious if most people you are going to be around are not.