• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Color Blindness Simulator

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Epaminondas, how accurate is the Coblis simulator in your personal experience??

I am really intrigued by the simulations, because before this I really had no idea what full colorblind people would see the world like... the simulations have allowed me to imagine those different ways to see the world, but still I don't know whether that system is really accurate or not.

Many colorblind people say that it's very difficult and frustrating to try to explain to others how they see everything, but the simulations like Coblis may be helpful for that as well...

SeverinR

Vala

I am really intrigued by the simulations, because before this I really had no idea what full colorblind people would see the world like... the simulations have allowed me to imagine those different ways to see the world, but still I don't know whether that system is really accurate or not.

Many colorblind people say that it's very difficult and frustrating to try to explain to others how they see everything, but the simulations like Coblis may be helpful for that as well...
We describe what we know, They see colors, but you can't use words for colors you don't see a difference too. You might be able to describe the color of an object by the hundreds of shades in a crayon box, but the color blind person doesn't see colors like normal people, so they can't use those as defining.
When a woman tells me, its _______(obscure color name), I tell them, my crayon box only had 8, which color is closest to those?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
That's true, but I think that a Green blind person would see no difference between the original uploaded picture and the Coblis simulation for Green blindness...

Who knows, maybe the simulations are not really accurate because we all see color in different ways. At least it gives me an idea of what the color blind world looks like, and it could help color blind people to explain to others what their vision is like as well.

I still have the impression that the Red/Green simulations are intriguing, and the Blue are terrifying!!

Epaminondas

Scribe

It's tough to say. They told me I was "red/green" color blind but I can see a little bit of both. I think the simulator would be pretty close if you were totally unable to see those colors but I, and probably most people, are really more " green weak/ red weak. As opposed to a total inability to see those colors.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you, so we can say that the Coblis simulations are simply an approximate...

Some people believe that we all see colors in our own personal way, and since there is no way to know for certain how every person experiences color vision who knows, that may be true after all.

The simulations can help anyway to dispel the myths that many people believe about color blindness, like thinking that a color blind person sees everything in shades of white, gray and black. That happens sometimes but it has another name and it's very rare, causing other vision problems beside total loss of color vision.

I am trying to post other Ishihara-like color tests, when I can change the format of the pictures =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well, after learning how to change picture file Formats in Mac (everything is so different to Windows!!) finally I have three Color Vision tests ready to be posted in this thread.

I found them at Wikipedia, and the Licensing says that I am free to copy, distribute or modify the files so here they are:

Protan Color Vision Test, for Red weakness/blindness:

Protan.jpg

Following, we have a Deutan Color Vision Test for Green troubles:

Deutan.jpg

Finally, the Tritan test that is designed for the crazy cotton-candy world Blue troubles:

Tritan.jpg

It's about reading what is hidden in every picture =)