• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Core world stories

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Besides Verne's classic, what are the stories about a second world at the core of Earth? I'm aware of the 19thc theories regarding this, and I'm aware of the old RPG game Coreworld. But I don't know of any actual fantasy stories that use this.

Anyone have a reference or twelve?

TheKillerBs

Maester
I don't know if it would be considered fantasy (more like soft sci-fi if I had to guess), but Robin Cook's Abduction has people living in a hollow shell between the earth's crust and mantle.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Thanks. I'd forgotten about Pellucidar *blush*. The other two are news; I'll check them out. The Robin Cook one, at least, I recognize as based on one of those goofy 19thc pseudo-science notions. Which are pure gold for me!

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
The Jewish Talmud mentions a race of people who live under the earth who only live 10yrs., as a legend of some sort. (Not sure exactly where, and the Talmud is 2000+ pages of cryptic writing so good luck finding it.) That's 1500+ yrs. old, which makes the idea much older than Wikipedia says the hollow earth tales are.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
The Talmud got there first on a ton of things. And if it's not there, it's in the Qabbala. :) I know Jewish mysticism only tangentially. I would need another lifetime to acquaint myself even casually with it.

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
I don't think its so much that the Talmud got there first, as that it was written 1500+ years ago, and has been accumulating commentary ever since. It simply has picked up many pieces of now ancient things, and due to its longevity, kept them around long enough for us to see them.

My second book features a planet that is hollow inside, but no one [as far as I know] lives there, because it is filled with primal energy and the planet's life force.