• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover for "The Sun Queen's New Hairstyle"

Jabrosky

Banned
I drew this "cover" myself for a 3,500-word short I recently finished (actually a rewrite of an earlier project). I don't know if I'll ever publish the story anywhere, but nonetheless I wanted some practice with designing covers.

6l2gM2v.jpg

Any feedback is welcome, but I'll jump-start the discussion with a question about the text. Due to the story's Egyptian-esque setting, I figured Papyrus font would suit the cover best, but then I've heard that Papyrus is such an overused font that it has become frowned upon. Do you think the Papyrus font works in this case?

risu

Troubadour
I think if you shrink the current cover down to thumbnail size, it'll get hard to read the title, because it is thin and long, all being on one line.

Other than that, I have no personal issue with Papyrus.

Jabrosky

Banned
Let me try another version of the title:

uXycxbK.jpg

I like the decoration around it more this time at least.

risu

Troubadour
It is more appealing, but I don't know if it's going to be more readable. Can you shrink it down to 120 px wide to see if it's still readable?

Oh, and I don't think the "By" is necessary in front of your name.

Hi,

I see the image and I get the Egyption vibe from the scarab, pyramid and the outfit, but really the woman doesn't look like an ancient Egyptian to me. Maybe some more work around the eyes would help. I also get the hair style issue, but I think that has to be backed up with a title done in a bolder font. I don't have an issue with the font save that it doesn't stand out enough. I think you could stretch it out over two lines and remove the word "by" as Risu says. I'd also put the author name at the bottom, to keep it seperate from the title.

My main question would be, who's the target audience for this work? The image says young adult or child.

Cheers, Greg.