• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating an Indie Writer Pool

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I don't normally share my blog posts here. However, I came up with an idea that could be great for people trying to support indie writers but can't find time to help every single writer they come across. Ideally, I want to do that, but as a writer myself, I have to make time for my own work as well. This could be a way to support people in any small way you can.

If you can, maybe you could also share your way you hope to help out indie writers. Or if you think my idea is crap. :)

Philip Overby's Fantasy Free-for-All: Creating Your Indie Writer Pool

MAndreas

Troubadour
I really like it in theory, but I almost feel it might be nice to create some sort of support group? If I don't realize someone is actively supporting me, I may not know to see if I can help them as well ;). Also, it might work best once folks have a few books under their belts- my life is so overwhelmed right now with the evil day job and trying to get this book (and series) out there, that I can't help anyone :(.

But I like your thinking!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, it's still in theory stage really. I don't necessarily see it as something you have to organize or anything. It's more like "OK these three authors, I'm going to buy whatever they release for the next year." It can just be a small thing like that. A lot of writers may never meet or know people that buy their books, so it's not that strange to me to not tell people you're supporting them. But I think they would get the point when you review and share their books.

I guess I see the idea as more of a private thing you can do to help people out and better organize. I just have tried to buy so many indie books in the past and try to help everyone and it's unmanageable. I figure if I focus on (and cycle out) certain authors per month, I can do more good that way.