• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Damascus steel

Bman10119

Dreamer
How would you describe this or what would you call it in a fantasy world? I have a culture I'm making and I want to use damascus steel for their swords because of the desert/middle eastern feel I'm going for. Any ideas? Name it after the race/culture that uses it or what?

Jessquoi

Troubadour
It depends on your world. There's not really enough information for me to suggest names. But it seems characterised by the patterns that form on the finished blades. Maybe you could find an Arabic word for that pattern and alter for your name. Alternatively just make up something that sounds cool. It's entirely up to you! I wouldn't name it after the race that used it unless that race was entirely defined by the production of that steel.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
I don't think you should name it after a race or an entire culture (unless is a "planet of hats" culture solely focused on making that steel). You could try naming it after the city it was invented, like the real Damascus steel. If you are trying to mimic the original Damascus steel, I suggest you imagine it from the descriptions of the time, as modern D. steel is not the same.

OGone

Troubadour
Call it anything you want. If you have a made up language then create a word for it using that system or alternatively just combine some translated Arabic words together. It looks like ripples in a tree or water to me, just describe it in the narrative at some stage then name it based on the description.

Queshire

Istar
Hmmm.... I think the question is, does Damascus Steel by itself have enough of a presence in popular culture that you can get away with calling that when you do not have a Damascus for it to come from? If the answer is no, then you shouldn't get caught up with it being Damascus Steel with another name but make it a whole new metal inspired by Damascus Steel.

I've heard of the wave/water look to it before, and I find it interesting that the best metal in a desert-y type culture (I'm just presuming it's desert-y I don't know for sure) would have water connotations. I think it would be neat to see that addressed in a story somehow.

If the world has a good Arabic feel, almost any mention of "the best steel" will have readers thinking of Damascus. But giving the place an Arabic name does make the effect stronger; you might even find a word just a few letters different from "Damascus" to really make the point.

It makes the most sense to name it after the geographical place that serves as the primary source of the stuff - "damascus steel" only really makes sense if there is actually place called Damascus. (As in, Damascus, Syria.) Naming it after the people using it might work, but users and producers need not be the same thing. Importing for example sword blades from reknowned centres of production was historically pretty common.

Kahle

Minstrel
A nickname for Damascus steel is "watered steel" as many people have referred to that quality of it. I had the opportunity a few years back to talk with a smith who made these blades in Alaska. It involves a lot of folding and turning of the metal. You start with a bundle of metal rods and continue to twist them and flatten with a certain technique. Thats what makes the pattern on the blade. These modern attempts have reached something called "pattern welding", which is slightly different from Damascus steel. Pattern welded steel is more linear, and wood-like in nature, whereas true Damascus steel is more complex and water-like in its ripples. It was superior to medieval steels, but remains inferior to modern steel.

Bman10119

Dreamer
I've always heard that no one really knows how Arabs made Damascus steel...that the process is lost to time.

This. The only thing I remember reading that we know of it is they used a special type of steel and used plants and leaves in the smithing process. But otherwise the exact method of crafting it was lost. But anyway, those are all some really good ideas as far as naming it. Thanks!

I've always heard that no one really knows how Arabs made Damascus steel...that the process is lost to time.

The technology for creating wootz is considered lost, yes. Though, there are several people today who have tried to recreate it, or something very close to it. We do have theories for how it was made, we just don't know for sure.

Ordinary patter-welding is, of course, still widely practiced.