• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dangerous Women Anthology (Featuring New ASOIAF Novella!)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
George R. R. Martin to Debut New Song of Ice and Fire Novella | Tor.com

I debated about where to put this, but because it's about a forthcoming book and is sort of more in the "news" category than the "currently reading" category, I'm posting it here.

This is good news for two reasons.

1. The title is Dangerous Women. This is not only an anthology about femme fatales in fantasy, it also features a lot of women authors. So the several discussions about women in fantasy that have taken place recently could be well-represented here.

2. George R.R. Martin's novella is going to deal with the Targaryen fighting a civil war over Westeros, presumably between a Targaryen queen and a princess, hence the title "The Princess and the Queen."

So pretty cool news all around. I'll have to pick this one up when it comes out. Plus, Gardner Dozois does some pretty awesome anthologies (Songs of the Dying Earth, the Jack Vance tribute anthology, was pretty remarkable.)

Xela

Scribe
I'm exceptionally excited for this. Originally, he meant to write a new Dunk & Egg novella for the anthology but instead (in part due to time constraints) pulled a huge chunk of the history he was writing for The World of Ice & Fire book coming next year. Not exactly as narrative as a Dunk & Egg tale, or at least I don't imagine it will be. But still, more canon!

This anthology is quite stacked. I'm excited for Gabaldon and Grossman, but there's going to be a Harry Dresden story, something new from Sanderson, and Abercrombie. Plus another ten or so authors!