• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dedications?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
This just occurred to me at random: when should an author worry about coming up with a dedication for their book, if any? I don't imagine it's included in the text given to an agent, publisher or editor. I realize it's a little early for someone who has yet to really finish a book to be worrying about that sort of thing, but even so, I'm curious. Can someone who's published sate my curiosity?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I haven't published, either, but I think it's included with the final materials packet along with your bio.

TWErvin2

Auror
I've had a dedication and acknowledgement page in each of my novels.

My publisher does not expect them until the major editing is completed. I send them prior to him doing the galley to proof (where I check out for formatting errors and any final minor tweaks) before the book goes to print.

My publisher reviews them, mostly for any grammar gaffs that I might have missed in writing the dedication, and then it becomes part of the novel layout.

Addison

Auror
Usually the dedication comes up when a deal is made with a publisher. They or your agent, or both, will as who you dedicate the book to. And you can dedicate it to anyone. You brother, cousin, parents, pets, your choice.