• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Democracy.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more...

Leif GS Notae

Closed Account
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more...

This. So many of this and more watery tarts distributing swords. That is the way to run a fantasy kingdom

Jungly

Dreamer
I would also romanticize the democracy quite a bit. There would be characters with true integrity that the people voted for and people would not be moved by elegant words to unjust or unwise decisions.

V

Voldermort

I haven't read that many fantasy books, but so far the only governing policies I have seen is monarchy. Why don't writers create other governing systems

They do. In the Matrix, democracy is there in the round table and the gender equality within the rulers of Zion, for instance.