• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dinosaurs

BJ Swabb

Sage
So I am in the middle of an area in my book where my fellowship is moving through a kingdom made of the jurassic Era where Neanderthals rule and dinosaurs roam and live. Besides the most common of dinosaurs like tree, raptors and pterodactyl what others dinosaurs should I mention? Thinking of herd like creatures in large grasslands mostly. Any suggestions?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
There are so many dinos these days I don't even know where to start let alone their names. back when I was a kid, dinosaur names were memorizable. Now? Krikee. So, if you want some sort of regional accuracy, you could pick African Dinos of the Jurassic, or North American... or whatever. If you want the most recognizable, run with those from the Jurassic Park movies.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...if I was doing this for my story, I would hit wikipedia with something like Dinos of a certain area and time. And I would get a list that seemed plausible.

But you already have the croods which does not follow the time aspect. To me, that means use anything you like.

I might still hit wikipedia and see what a typical variety might look like. Not that the reader would have to know, but you would a working eco system. So, enough herd dinos to feed the carnivores, and enough smaller ones to feed the larger. And then enough other dino's to rfun around and show variety.

Obvious targets for me would be all the very common ones.

Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus
Triceratops
iguanodon
Spinosaurus
T-rex
Ankylosaurus
Allosaurus

Meh....everyone in a pic like this: Maybe pic 10 or 12.

32c70ccbfec799b0a3b56ab5798e5a1f.jpg

BJ Swabb

Sage
Well...if I was doing this for my story, I would hit wikipedia with something like Dinos of a certain area and time. And I would get a list that seemed plausible.

But you already have the croods which does not follow the time aspect. To me, that means use anything you like.

I might still hit wikipedia and see what a typical variety might look like. Not that the reader would have to know, but you would a working eco system. So, enough herd dinos to feed the carnivores, and enough smaller ones to feed the larger. And then enough other dino's to rfun around and show variety.

Obvious targets for me would be all the very common ones.

Stegosaurus
Apatosaurus
Triceratops
iguanodon
Spinosaurus
T-rex
Ankylosaurus
Allosaurus

Meh....everyone in a pic like this: Maybe pic 10 or 12.

32c70ccbfec799b0a3b56ab5798e5a1f.jpg
I was just giving the Croods as an example of Neanderthals with dino kind of animals. Lol. They're not in my book. But this helps thanks!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...the croods hardly stands alone. The flintstones, land of the lost, journey to the center of the earth, the good dinosaur....plenty of examples of people and dino's together.

But...it did not happen. Dino's were long gone before humans took over.

BJ Swabb

Sage
Well...the croods hardly stands alone. The flintstones, land of the lost, journey to the center of the earth, the good dinosaur....plenty of examples of people and dino's together.

But...it did not happen. Dino's were long gone before humans took over.
Yeah, but it's fantasy so it can happen. Lol

Hadrosaurs:

Parasaurolophus (Might be my top favorite dinosaur)
Edmontosaurus (Formerly Trachodon)
Corythosaurus
Lambeosaurus
Olorotitan
Oroanosaurus
Maiasaura
Tsintaosaurus

Dromeosauridae (aka: Raptors):

Velociraptor
Utahraptor (one of the largest known)
Pyroraptor (Personal favorite)
Dienonychus (The one that started the Dinosaur Revolution)
Atrociraptor
Dakotaraptor
Archeroraptor
Bambiraptor (Yes, this is real)
Microraptor (Four wings good, two wings bad)

Tyrannosaurs:

T. Rex
Yutyrannus
Tarbosaurus
Raptorex
Albertosaurus
Herrerasaurus
Coelophisys
Nanotyrannus

Abelisaurs:

Carnotaurus (Another favorite)
Majungasaurus
Skorpiovenator
Rugops

Allosauridae:

Allosaurus
Saurophaganax
Epanterias
Antrodemus

Spinosaurids:

Spinosaurus (But of course)
Baryonyx (Another favorite)
Suchomimus
Irritator

Ceratopsians

Triceratops
Styracosaurus (Spiky boi)
Protoceratops (Best known for being Bix or dying together in a fight with a velociraptor)
Torosaurus
Chasmosaurus (Check out the blog Love In The Time Of Chasmosaurus)
Diabloceratops
Pachyrhinosaurus
Nasutoceratops
Leptoceratops

Stegosauridae:

Stegosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Wuerhosaurus
Chungkingosaurus
Gigantspinosaurus

Pachycephalosauridae:

Pachycephalosaurs
Stegoceras
Homalocephale
Dracorex
Styglimoloch (Might just be a pointy baby pachy)

Ornithomimids:

Gallimimus
Struthiomimus
Archaeornithomimus

Sauropods:

Brontosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Apatosaurus
Diplodocus
Nigersaurus
Camarasaurus
Mamenchisaurus
Amargasaurus
Dreadnoughtus

Pterasaurs and Azhdarchiae (Not dinosaurs, but whatever)

Pteronodon
Pterodactylus
Dimorphodon
Quetzalcoatlus
Hatzegopteryx
Tapejara

Synapsids (Stem Mammals)

Dimetrodon
Lystrosaurus
Gorgonopsid
Moschops
Edaphosaurus

Not an exhaustive list, but there's some. Missing the armored sorts like anylosaurus and it's kin, but there, dinosaurs and non dinosaurs that still get called dinosaurs.

Not_Alice

Scribe
Give them feathers! :love:

Not entirely joking. There are a lot of articles out there discussing - and agreeing on - the possibility of feathered dinosaurs. And since it's fantasy, you can do whatever you want with your dinosaurs, obviously.

BJ Swabb

Sage
Give them feathers! :love:

Not entirely joking. There are a lot of articles out there discussing - and agreeing on - the possibility of feathered dinosaurs. And since it's fantasy, you can do whatever you want with your dinosaurs, obviously.
Some will have feathers, some won't. I'll mix it up.

Also love your username. And with that said my question is : Are you THE Alice? Lol