• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Disney Villians

BJ Swabb

Sage
Hey yall! I have been watching a lot of the animated Disney films and thinking about writing a book series on each villains life story. If you could choice three villains from Disney which villains would u be interested in reading about. For myself it would be Frollo, Ratcliff from Pocahontas, and Ursula.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont know that I have a strong desire to see more of them (and Disney is not someone I would trust to do anything anymore), but I think the most room for stories would come from the older ones, The Queen, the Wicked Step mother, and Maleficent. Jafar looks like he's had an interesting life. Disney has so many IP's now, its pretty much choose your villain.

Who’s Frollo and Ursula??

Maleficent has already been hammered in remakes, so nothing new to add to the wheel there. Probably the witch from Snow White, I find her a lot more interesting than snow white herself. Snow white is an old German fairytale?? So not specifically Disney. Maybe the stepsisters from Cinderella.

Last edited:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Who’s Frollo and Ursula??

I'm with you on Frollo, but Ursula :arghh::arghh::arghh:

I think Frollo was hunchback.

You know, Once upon a time, kind of did all these, and I think they did a fun job. I did not really watch it, but I heard the talk. I think all the villains got their fans. My Daughter loved Hades, Capt Hook and the Evil Queen.

But....some of disney is about to enter public domain.... Winny the Pooh already has a horror movie version made. Maybe its time for others to bring these back to life.

Oh Ursula from the little mermaid. I just didn’t enjoy that one as a child. The best version hands down of the little mermaid is the Japanese animated one made in the 70’s, and she actually dies in that film at the end as per the actual fairytale, my little mind was blown.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I enjoyed little mermaid, but alladin and beauty were my faves.

I liked the alladin spin off movies as well.

Beauty was the best imo.

I hammered Cinderella and sleeping beauty as a little girl, sleeping beauty has the best visuals in my opinion, but I also loved sword and the stone and Robin Hood which was probably the beginning of my fascination for those old myths and legends. Mulan has my heart though.

Oh - honourable mention for Anastasia.

Apparently Frollo is the darkest Disney villain, indeed from hunchback.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sleeping beauty had a wonderful artistic style but the three of mermaid, alladin and beauty were their pinnacle i think.

How can one beat beauty? Brunette with brown eyes… cant beat that.

Ill thought tangled was good. But there are many…. Id be okay if i did not see again ;).

In sleeping beauty I just remembered the thick thorny brambles, the spindles…and maleficent, so clever and dark just like a fairytale ought to be. Gaston made a good villain for sure.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I remember the lovely dragoness unjustly attacked by a pesky knight. Some stories end in tragedy.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I hammered Cinderella and sleeping beauty as a little girl, sleeping beauty has the best visuals in my opinion, but I also loved sword and the stone and Robin Hood which was probably the beginning of my fascination for those old myths and legends. Mulan has my heart though.

Oh - honourable mention for Anastasia.

Apparently Frollo is the darkest Disney villain, indeed from hunchback.
Anastasia isn't Disney btw.

BJ Swabb

Sage
Classic villains like Hook, Maleficent, Ursula, and Jafar have been done many ways. Yes Once Upon A Time did a grand job with the characters. But what I am getting at is telling the villain's story in a whole new way kind of what they have done with Cruella and Maleficent, but in novel style, not movie. What I am asking is who would you like to read about (not watch)? I know there are some books out there already that have stories on the villain's point of view, but I'd like to see a more epic and creative new twist to the villains as maybe the main protagonist of the novel. Frollo from Hunchback would be my all time go too. But there are many who have not been recognized in book form like Honest John and the Coachman from Pinocchio, Shere Khan from the Jungle Book, Scar from the Lion King, The Horned King from Cauldron, Ratigan from The Great Mouse Detective, Percival McLeach from Rescuers Down Under, Ratcliffe from Pocahontas, Clayton from Tarzan, Long John Silver from Treasure Planet, Dr. Facilier from Princess and the Frog, Mor Du from Brave, and Zarina from Tinker Bell and the Pirate Fairy.

Personally not a big fan of villain origin stories. I think they're hard to get right. To do justice to the eventual character they become they need to become pretty dark characters along the way. They can also make for depressing stories because of that. Or they simply become tales where the main character shares a name with a villain and that's pretty much it. Which I think is the case with Cruella.

As for which characters, I think the fox and cat from pinocchio can be interesting. They're not so much outright evil (as is the case with many Disney villains), but rather self-serving and opportunistic. Which means you can stay true to the characters and still tell interesting adventures.

I'd personally also be careful about using Disney characters. The House of Mouse likes suing people over their IP's. You'd definitely want to make sure the characters are public domain and also not trademarked. Winney the Pooh for instance is public domain, but you still can't use Disney's version of him.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Oh yes, i forgot, one of the first things that turned me against disney is they were sue happy and would go after things like elementary schools that painted a mickey mouse on their walls.