• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do gnomes stand a chance in melee combat?

I'd give my gnomes a penchant for using poisoned weapons, maybe, and distance weapons.

And why not? If they are smaller against humans, they're smaller against any other sort of large predator, and over centuries of development, a gnomish society would have developed techniques for dealing with large predators and large prey.

Of course, if they already have a flair for technology, they may have put their effort into creating it and not maintaining low-tech martial arts–which could become a problem.

In general, I'd reiterate what Devor said:

A gnome would train to fight bigger foes while most humans probably wouldn't be training to fight gnomes (although some of the more experienced would). If we assume for the moment that there are a handful of fighting tactics that could give the shorter fighter the upper hand, the gnome will know them, and the human won't be prepared to defend against them.

^Much of that would depend on the kind of interaction gnomes and humans have had before. If they are coming into contact for the first time within the story, then what Devor mentioned would play a larger role. But if they've been interacting for some time, then it's conceivable that gnomes would have upped their game due to the presence of humans and humans would have upped their game v. gnomes.

135 centimeters isn't an incredibly small size, either, or not so great a disadvantage as might be thought. My guess is that any single random one-on-one encounter would probably be decided by the relative training levels of the two combatants, what odd bits of equipment and weapons they possess, etc. Assuming an accidental match-up between equally trained and equipped individuals, the human would have an advantage. But I don't think the advantage would be too great, and environmental factors could minimize the advantage further.

EGLoomis

Acolyte
The gnomes could be made of stone, which would make them very formidable indeed.
Also, because they're small, they should be able to move faster than humans can.

TheKillerBs

Maester
Also, because they're small, they should be able to move faster than humans can.

Why? They have shorter strides and shorter muscles if everything else is equal. Being smaller, if anything, makes you slower. Also Usain Bolt is 195 cm tall, for what it's worth.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Why? They have shorter strides and shorter muscles if everything else is equal. Being smaller, if anything, makes you slower. Also Usain Bolt is 195 cm tall, for what it's worth.

I don't think what he meant.

Throw a punch and hold it in the air. Now pull it back. How long did it take you to "recover" from your punch and move back into position? That time would be shorter if your arm were shorter.

TheKillerBs

Maester
I don't think what he meant.

Throw a punch and hold it in the air. Now pull it back. How long did it take you to "recover" from your punch and move back into position? That time would be shorter if your arm were shorter.

Even assuming that's true which I don't buy, they would still be slower. I am 176 cm tall, with 72 cm arms from shoulder to knuckle, so I can punch from 72 cm away. If I were to fight a 135 cm version of myself (let's call him Mini-Me) then he'd have a 55 cm range. If I were to fight Mini-Me, for him to be able to hurt me he'd have to step nearly 20 cm into my range before he could hit me. That makes his attacks a lot slower even if the angular velocity of his arms was greater. Also in that vein, his angular velocity would need to be 176/135 times mine to offset my longer lever to just equal my straight line punching speed.

TheKillerBs

Maester
This video may be helpful. It's about dwarves but the logic can probably be applied to any small fantasy race.
In the same vein, Shadiversity did some videos about dwarves including a reply to that video. He also did a dedicated video for the littlest people (halflings/hobbits, gnomes and goblins).

[video=youtube_share;ibDGq3ESkxo]https://youtu.be/ibDGq3ESkxo[/video]

Russ

Istar
The assumption, that for an intra-species comparison that smaller means weaker is fallacious (as others have already pointed out quite aptly in this thread).

Height and weight can be an advantage in a primitive melee combat, but it is certainly not determinative. There are a multitude of other factors that influence combat outcome, and that is in an inter-species comparison (i.e. human v human). if you consider the number of potential factors in a different species, it gets a lot more complicated.

If your dwarves are just "short humans" one then wonders...why not just call them pygmies or..why bother?