• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you create other humanoids/races?

I can't stand elves, dwarves and orcs personally. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with them, there is just no reason to use them when there are infinite other possibilities for humanoid races. I don't like using creatures from mythology in general--I prefer to invent my own, it's much more fun. I have dragons, but there is so much room for interpretation with dragons that I can still have fun.

As for what kind of races I invent--My work in progress has several, not sure how many yet. There is an underground dwelling race (they are nothing like dwarves though), a winged race that lives in cities in the sky, a semi-aquatic race that lives in lakes, rivers and other freshwater environments and cannot survive for more than a few hours outside water, and a forest-dwelling race able to derive nourishment from the sun through photosynthesis. Also a couple others I'm not yet finished developing. I'm not even sure I will have humans, but the fact that I picture all my main characters as human presents a problem.

A good question: why are there always humans in fantasy stories? In my work in progress literally no other animal is the same as one on earth. why then are there humans?

Steel Dragon

Dreamer
I really love the idea of feline races. I like furries in general if done well, but cats are especially cool. P. S. Please don't make the lions warriors defined by their courage and nobility.

No, but one of them wields the Sword of Omens and yells "HOOOOOOOOOOO" a lot.

Only kidding.

Actually the Tygrin are kind alike that, being based off the Jaffa from Stargate. Kilgorath is a lot like Teal'c crossed with Krunch Bloodrage from LFG. The Lions would be more of a nomadic horde "keep what you kill" type of people. Brutal and conquering like the Mongols or the Dothraki.

shangrila

Inkling
I've got several floating around in various unfinished projects, some wholly original while others are variations on the classics.

Personally though I tend to side with the idea that humanity is mutually exclusive. I think we're bound to find conflict with others that are different. So when I start out creating a race I look through that lens. Empires of other creatures exist to create large scale tension, while any co-existence generally falls into 3 categories; extreme isolationism, dead or dying civilizations and something akin to forces of nature.

adalenia

Dreamer
I have two original humanoid races: the Ark'ari and the (for lack of a better term) Immortals.

The Ark'ari are a dark-skinned, shorter race almost reminiscent of goblins (see my avatar); and the Immortals are tall humanoids (with animal-esque heads) that tend to have magical abilities unlike that of the other races of their world.

Last edited:

Laurence

Inkling
I love our world in that ethnic groups mingle and are intelligent enough to discard natural selection. For this reason, I rather keep my races similar, other than a race who predominantly live underground far from the usual gang so are slightly more Golum-y.

I save new creations for fancy beasts!