• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you say "race" or "species" or something else?

When talking about your world, do you call people races or species or something else?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
If the two groups can interbreed they're separate races, if they can't they're separate species. That simplifies biology a little, but I stick to it in worldbuilding. That is of course when we're referring to "races" such as dwarves, elves and gnomes.

For some reason seeing this again yesterday sent me down a rabbit hole. o_O 🐰

Apparently the taxonomists have largely abandoned the word race in favor of ecotype, which is a step below subspecies. "The lions in this area tend to have darker manes" is an ecotype, and what we know about races in humans are said to be on that level.

BiggusBeardus

Minstrel
For some reason seeing this again yesterday sent me down a rabbit hole. o_O 🐰

Apparently the taxonomists have largely abandoned the word race in favor of ecotype, which is a step below subspecies. "The lions in this area tend to have darker manes" is an ecotype, and what we know about races in humans are said to be on that level.
That's a new one!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...Far be it from me to question scientists, but ecotype seems like a misfitting word to me. Eco kind of belongs to all the outside things that support them.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Well...Far be it from me to question scientists, but ecotype seems like a misfitting word to me. Eco kind of belongs to all the outside things that support them.

I think it's supposed to be more along the lines of a "type" of the species that's particular to this "eco-"system.