• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Slime Race

I talked with a friend today and got an idea. In anime circles there is such a thing as a "Slimegirl" which is, as the name suggests, a humanoid slime. My friend and I got to talking about how to expand on the idea of humanoid slimes how they work, what role they play in the setting, and whether or not it would be cool to try and put slime creatures in a fantasy novel. I've got two main concepts on how this could work. Any further expansion or feedback on these ideas is appreciated!

Scenario A: Slimes are magical protists that grow and evolve according to their environment and diet. Because of this method of evolution some Slimes take on human attributes while others mimic wild animals and fungi. Humanoid slimes are often prejudiced against due to how alien they are but there is an organization dedicated to the protection and research of these unique organisms.

Scenario B: Slimes are artificial lifeforms developed by alchemists to serve as assistants and lab rats. "Low" Slimes are simple balls of ooze while "High" Slimes are complex organisms with ambiguous sentience fitting their humanoid shape.

Nirak

Minstrel
I honestly think those are both good ideas. Slime creatures aren't done very often, that I can think of, so either of these (or both) would be a unique addition to the world. I would say that, if you're thinking of a character, the first scenario of the slimes as a race with their own culture would have more depth. I'm already interested in reading more about them! The second scenario is basically a golem, which IS done quite often in some form or another, so the unique part is more that they're slimes and not made of rock, or metal, or clay... And in that case I'd wonder - why a slime, why not some other format that would be less messy to have as an assistant? I think you can easily answer that question if you want to, but the other idea I found a lot more intriguing.

I honestly think those are both good ideas. Slime creatures aren't done very often, that I can think of, so either of these (or both) would be a unique addition to the world. I would say that, if you're thinking of a character, the first scenario of the slimes as a race with their own culture would have more depth. I'm already interested in reading more about them! The second scenario is basically a golem, which IS done quite often in some form or another, so the unique part is more that they're slimes and not made of rock, or metal, or clay... And in that case I'd wonder - why a slime, why not some other format that would be less messy to have as an assistant? I think you can easily answer that question if you want to, but the other idea I found a lot more intriguing.
Good catch on the golem comparison! I'm leaning more towards Scenario A as is and your feedback is helping tip those scales. I can't justify why an alchemist or a wizard would want a slime assistant over a golem, zombie, or humanoid assistant aside from maybe being cheaper to make/hire.

Riva

Minstrel
You may want to think about why would it be beneficial to a protist to evolve in human form and not, let's say, flatten out due to gravity. And maybe if you want more depth how does it do that (lacking a skeleton or any rigid parts).

Also, in a lab it may be useful for holding test tube and not to break glassware.

I think both ideas work, honestly. It also gives you an interesting opportunity to do a story a bit like Frankenstein, where an alchemist is trying to create the ultimate slime assistant and ends up making one that's super smart but reviled because, well, it's all slimy and stuff.

Also, just had a thought: What happens when a slime with humanoid levels of intelligence becomes an alchemist and makes slimes to work as lab assistants?

I think both ideas work, honestly. It also gives you an interesting opportunity to do a story a bit like Frankenstein, where an alchemist is trying to create the ultimate slime assistant and ends up making one that's super smart but reviled because, well, it's all slimy and stuff.

Also, just had a thought: What happens when a slime with humanoid levels of intelligence becomes an alchemist and makes slimes to work as lab assistants?
I think that would be equivalent to cloning.