• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Double-Pronged Promotion

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I've kind of been laying in wait to see how this would turn out, but since my second Splatter Elf story "River of Blades" will be ready to launch soon, I'm going to do kind of a "double-pronged" promotion to see how it works out. The idea is to use the Kindle promo to make my previous story "The Unicorn-Eater" free at the same time I launch "River of Blades." Also at the end of "The Unicorn-Eater," I'll have a teaser for "River of Blades" to also encourage people who got the free story to check out the new one.

I'm thinking of trying to find some sites that do free promotions. I found a couple doing Google searches, but wasn't sure which ones were decent and which ones aren't. I know most of these focus on novels and not short stories, so that may shut me out in that capacity. However, I'm hoping giving away "The Unicorn-Eater" for free will help out the sales for "River of Blades." Plus, I'll have another story ready to go soon which has been "on deck" for a while, so I'll have three (maybe four?) stories out by the end of the summer I think.

Because I was told to try to get as much work out as possible, I'm trying to do that without sacrificing quality. I have noticed my writing speed has increased a lot and I'm finding myself enjoying completing things and putting them out in the world. I am also hoping this "trains" me for novels so I can do the same with them at some point.

Anyway, any thoughts on using something free to get sales on something new? Sites you've used?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Philip,

Have you read/searched the Writer's Cafe over at kboards?

I love MS, but, if you have marketing/promo questions, there are a lot more people over there with the experience you need than there are here.

Sorry if it's bad form to use these forums to send people to other forums ...

Thanks.

Brian

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I know there are some people here with experience with such things, so I thought I'd ask here first. I prefer asking around people I know before diving into a pool of complete strangers! :)

Thanks, I'll check that out and see if I can get some thoughts there as well.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I prefer asking around people I know before diving into a pool of complete strangers!

I think I'd probably start by doing a keyword search over there and reading through some threads. I can't imagine that your topic hasn't come up, and there's no risk to lurking ...