• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ekko -- New Worldbuilding Project

dyga19

Dreamer
Hey there! Just wanted to share my project and world, Ekko. It's a strange world that includes concepts from fantasy, sci-fi, and lovecraftian horror, all united in a post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

Ekko

Anyone's welcome to submit ideas and contributions, as long it remains consistent with everything. We desperately need artists and illustrators though, so if you have any interest in helping in that particular area, please contact me. Thanks for taking the time to check this out, looking forward to your feedback. :)

dyga19

Dreamer
So I've added several races and creatures to the groups gallery, as well as expanded the geography, factions, and magic system during the past week. I'd love some feedback on it, if anyone's interested. :)

Roc

Troubadour
So, I'm confused, is this going to be a book? I thouht I'd mention, on a personal level, I don't like your spelling of magic...you call it Majik. I found that rather uncreative, but like I said, it's only my personal opinion and shouldn't affect your final decisions.

Your races are unique, but I feel as if they're the exact same thing just in different colors and this one has a little bit more horns and spikes than that one. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them because they're so similar: that's the only problem I really see with that. Also sometimes, it can be really hard to write from the point of view from a race not of our world, so just as a suggestion, maybe you should add a human-like race in there.

One thing that I liked a lot was your factions, though I must give you some advice. You should probably add a territorie's section in there, because if every faction has exactly one capital, one state, and one leader, it gets a little corny. A personal favorite of mine was the "Deep Dwellers".

You said you might want ideas, well I noticed you didn't have a race for any desert living people, and there are deserts in all worlds, so think about that!

I have fun looking at your project, good luck!

-writing is anarchy-

Edit: I just noticed something about your geography. "The Cataclysm" and the "Necropolis" are HUGE things in the rpg World of Warcraft.

Last edited:

dyga19

Dreamer
So, I'm confused, is this going to be a book? I thouht I'd mention, on a personal level, I don't like your spelling of magic...you call it Majik. I found that rather uncreative, but like I said, it's only my personal opinion and shouldn't affect your final decisions.

Your races are unique, but I feel as if they're the exact same thing just in different colors and this one has a little bit more horns and spikes than that one. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them because they're so similar: that's the only problem I really see with that. Also sometimes, it can be really hard to write from the point of view from a race not of our world, so just as a suggestion, maybe you should add a human-like race in there.

One thing that I liked a lot was your factions, though I must give you some advice. You should probably add a territorie's section in there, because if every faction has exactly one capital, one state, and one leader, it gets a little corny. A personal favorite of mine was the "Deep Dwellers".

You said you might want ideas, well I noticed you didn't have a race for any desert living people, and there are deserts in all worlds, so think about that!

I have fun looking at your project, good luck!

-writing is anarchy-

Edit: I just noticed something about your geography. "The Cataclysm" and the "Necropolis" are HUGE things in the rpg World of Warcraft.

I'm going to be writing at least one series of stories set in Ekko, so yes, it may eventually become a book; I'm just focusing on nailing down aspects of the setting first. I might also try and make some form of rpg, or (very ideally) have a game designed set in it.

I'm not dead set on "majik", it's more a placeholder than anything; I didn't want to just call it magic, so I just respelled it in a fashion similar to the original Arabic word. If anyone has further suggestion on what to call my magic system, I'd love to hear them.

Cultures in races are somewhat similar because some have been coexisting and living with each other for just under 5,000 years; however, it's their forms that are the main difference. For instance, Tribal races generally follow the same tenets, because the races of that faction often live with each other, adopting aspects of each others cultures. I've already got a couple humanoid/human-like races in there, and plan on adding more once I make concept images for them.

And I have concepts for many desert races; I just haven't added them yet, heh. I have the basic concepts for every race and creature down, I just need to flesh them out with a description/profile and a concept image. Given that I have so many concepts...well, I'm just playing catch-up with myself at this point.

The factions don't necessarily have rigidly defined states or borders, just general regions of the continent they inhabit. The "capitals" are just the largest and oldest settlements that have remained under a given factions control; they aren't necessarily governing bodies of any kind.

As for that Warcraft stuff you mentioned...I'm afraid I have to be perfectly blunt, but I'm not trying to be rude; I simply don't care. My Necropolis is called that because it translates into City of the Dead or Dead City, and as such is the perfect name for a continent sized, post-apocalyptic ruined city, such as the one I'm working with. The Cataclysm I invented is called such because it evokes images of powerful, all-encompassing disasters; I have no idea what Warcraft's' Cataclysm is about, but I'm going to assume they're different enough for both to use a common enough word as their title. Honestly, things like "The Disaster" or "The Big Uh-oh" just don't have the same kind of feel to 'em. I just don't play Warcraft...if I can't even use words that have appeared in other settings...well, that would pretty much leave me with very little to work with.

Well thank you for all the feedback everyone! Every bit is useful and helps me think.

dyga19

Dreamer
I'm pretty much going for both. To me, the best way to present Ekko as a story would be through a graphic novel, but it was also designed with gaming in mind. No idea how I'm going to make either result come about, sadly.