• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does anyone use Unreal Engine 5 for their worldbuilding project?

Miaristan

Dreamer
Hi,

I ask this question because I recently installed Unreal Engine 5 which, as powerful as the software is, doesn't require a subscription (which means this is almost entirely free), but will instead impose 5% fees if a creative project earns more than one million dollars.

Besides for video gaming development, I read Unreal Engine 5 was also used for animation, cinematics, but also creating environments.

I'm here because I wanted to know if you knew the software and if you think I could use it to create a world map like in Photoshop or a globe like in Adobe Substance Painter (albeit in life-size or somewhat like that).

So, thanks you for your feedback, and have a good day!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I used to build maps with Quake and Quake 3, but not with unreal. I suspect they would be similar.

For my purposes, I dont need software like that to make maps with.

Even with the best tools, making a world that I am hoping will win so much acclaim as to get me a lot of money would have to become my new passion, take up most of my energy, and be almost a second job. I dont see becoming interested in that.

Perhaps others.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
~We use it at work for VR/XR. It is a lot of work to get anything built. But it does look beautiful afterwards.
It would not be my first choice of program for map making.
If you want to know what 2d maps look like of 3d worlds then have a look at NASA GISS: G.Projector — Map Projections
It lets you project 2d maps on to 3d surfaces [mainly a globe].

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I thought about playing around with it, but there are too many other ways to waste my time without learning its twists and turns enough to make what I want.