• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Elves and God.

I am working on a story about viking elves and trying to establish their religion, keeping it similar to Norse gods, but since elves are essentially immortal unless killed, I was wondering how they would relate to a God/gods, I mean if you live forever do you really need some magical being looking after you, or do you need it even more because death is so rare that they are even more afraid?

I think it's an interesting topic so I was wondering your opinions.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
First thing that comes to me is...
Are the god[dess[es]] real?
If they are then they elves will have to find a way to deal with them, depending on how the gods act.
Are they remote and aloof or involved in everyday life?
If the god[dess[es]] are a creation of elvish culture then things will be different.

You could say that they live a very long time, but that only half-born elves (essentially demigods) live forever, these are worshiped much like pharaohs were worshiped in ancient Egypt?

First thing that comes to me is...
Are the god[dess[es]] real?
If they are then they elves will have to find a way to deal with them, depending on how the gods act.
Are they remote and aloof or involved in everyday life?
If the god[dess[es]] are a creation of elvish culture then things will be different.

I was thinking of it more as a cultural creation than actual reality, I mean they might believe that the gods walk among them, but there is no proof of that being real.

You could say that they live a very long time, but that only half-born elves (essentially demigods) live forever, these are worshiped much like pharaohs were worshiped in ancient Egypt?

I already am writing half-born elves as the most powerful, but they are more feared than worshipped in my world, they are thought of as evil creatures who only bring destruction, so not really a diety.