• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Epic Poems

There are a lot of great epic poems from the Medieval period that make good inspiration for a budding poet. Chaucer is great and very accessible, Beowulf is fun if you enjoy ripping off arms and beating monsters to death with them, The Romance of the Rose is very dirty, and The Song of Roland is quite epic.
This is old, but thanks for this, The Romance of the Rose is providing some great inspiration for me to loosely reference in my work - although somehow I have already drawn on some themes this poem explores within my own work. Maybe this idea of courtly romance has seeped into our culture so much that I’ve just sort absorbed it into my subconsciousness…

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
This is old, but thanks for this, The Romance of the Rose is providing some great inspiration for me to loosely reference in my work - although somehow I have already drawn on some themes this poem explores within my own work. Maybe this idea of courtly romance has seeped into our culture so much that I’ve just sort absorbed it into my subconsciousness…
Yeah, that happens to me, too. I've gotten to the point where I just stuff information into my squiggy little brain and let it all percolate until something interesting floats to the surface and then I'm sitting bolt upright with a cry of, "The Pleiades!" at 3am. My wife loves it. :p

I totally forgot about this post. lol Now all I can think of are rose petals and pearls. So pervy. It's one of my favorites. :D

Yeah, that happens to me, too. I've gotten to the point where I just stuff information into my squiggy little brain and let it all percolate until something interesting floats to the surface and then I'm sitting bolt upright with a cry of, "The Pleiades!" at 3am. My wife loves it. :p

I totally forgot about this post. lol Now all I can think of are rose petals and pearls. So pervy. It's one of my favorites. :D
There’s a euphemism to be found in everything!

Imagine a fantasy novel inspired by it? A tale of two halves.