• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Eschew Obfuscation!

Wormtongue

Minstrel
I struggle sometimes with getting the balance between precision and understandability.

Should I say exactly what I mean, even if many readers won't understand the word? Or should I use a word that isn't exactly right, but take solace in the fact that everyone will understand the word, even if that understanding is slightly different than what I intend?

What has brought me to this question (yet again) is the word loggia. How many people would know what that means? Should I simply say balcony, even though I don't actually mean balcony? :rolleyes:

Or should I explain to the reader what a loggia is? :confused:

I'm describing the architecture of a race unique to my world. The problem is, the loggia defines their architecture. All of their construction is recessed into a cliff face. They wouldn't build anything that protruded like a balcony.

In general, it's fine to use a really obscure word once in a while, just don't do it too often, or readers will notice and be annoyed. I consider myself to have a pretty sizable vocabulary and I didn't know what the word "loggia" meant. Although I might have been able to gather it from context. And if it's not really critical to the story or characters, well, it's not a big deal. I remember the first few times I saw the top of a castle wall described using the word "merlon" and I didn't really know what it meant, but that was okay.

Should I say exactly what I mean, even if many readers won't understand the word? Or should I use a word that isn't exactly right, but take solace in the fact that everyone will understand the word, even if that understanding is slightly different than what I intend?

Honestly, I don't think it really matters when you're talking about architecture. When you're talking about a character's state of mind or feelings, it's far more critical that you use the right words than that you properly describe the opening in the side of a building.

Dreamhand

Troubadour
Personally, I don't believe and author should ever pander to their audience. If the thing is a loggia then call it a loggia and move on. If you're concerned about comprehension then add some contextual references.

"The cliff face was graced with a grand loggia, chiseled arches glinting in the sunlight framing cool shadowed recesses beyond."

Bam. The idea is conveyed and they can go Goggle it if they're still utterly perplexed. Besides, these kind of things can be addressed in the editing process... don't let it bog down your flow of ideas and inspiration.

(do we get to see some of these cliff-dwelling, loggia-building aliens in the Showcase? Hmmmm? ;) )

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
A lot of the old line 'greats' - Lin Carter being the one I can think of offhand - were constantly dropping huge, complex, or obscure words into their works. Another author used foriegn obscenities (nonsense words in english) as the names for many of his nonhuman characters.

Telcontar

Staff
I'm thinking that Dreamhand pretty much nailed the advice on this one. If the word describes it so perfectly, just use the word. Follow it up with a skeleton description.

The only thing I'd add is to be very careful where you put the description, cuz you can pretty much assume that the reader will have to look the word up - if they feel so inclined - and you don't want to go breaking a good groove. Put it somewhere that the reader won't be jarred too much by taking a few seconds away from reading further.

Many great authors make or made use of the practice, to the point it becomes part of their style. Clark Ashton Smith, Jack Vance, and Gene Wolfe are a few that make use of an antiquated and esoteric vocabulary. It can be challenging for the reader, but that's part of what these cats are/were trying to accomplish. A whomping big pre-50's dictionary an can be helpful to their readers.

Taytortots

Minstrel
When I was younger, if I didn't know a word (which of course then, happened often) I would look it up. It didn't bother me that I didn't know the word, and in fact I learned from it.
Not all people share my opinion however. I would find a balance. This could mean a few things, like bending to use words that may not fit exactly, or saying what it is, but describe it as similar to blank, so that they understand what you mean but you still have the word you intended to use. Good luck.

In this I have to agree that you have to balance the number of uncommon words to common words. If I have to look up every third word, you won't get me past the first couple pages and I'm done. Glen Cook used a lot of less common words that I didn't always know the meaning too, but could easily get the right idea for what the word meant by it's usage. That I think is the other thing to pay attention to, how you use them. I think having words that aren't really common, but work well in writing can be great (it's actually one of the things that make reading fun).

The biggest question is how often is too often, and that one is only answerable by the reader.