• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Eve of Snows for $0.99

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Do you think there is an ideal interval for the rate at which they should be released?

TWErvin2

Auror
Do you think there is an ideal interval for the rate at which they should be released?
I do not know, from my own experience. I am able to put out a novel or two a year.

I have heard and read some authors talk about rapid release, or trying to have a novel every month for a series, to build and keep momentum. I guess the notion there is to write and store up novels in a series, if you cannot write, edit and get everything else done that fast--for self publishing. For most publishers, I think a book a month would be too much--too fast.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
From what I've heard, not being one of these people, rapid release is very effective. Mainly, I think this keeps your engaged readers engaged instead of losing X% over the span of a year or two. Anecdotal evidence would point to 3 months for kicking in the algorithm at Amazon and keeping it lit... but, I'm skeptical that it's any more than just keeping the general flow going and keeping readers involved.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I tried for two months between releases for my 'Empire' series - except for the current gap brought on by the holidays and the need for rewrites, which is three months. I do seem to have a teeny-tiny fan club that buys the new releases even on preorder.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, the people I've talked to have, well, large audiences (I suspect they all do 6 figure sales) And, they all built audiences in the Golden Age of Indie before the market saturated to what it is today. So, all lessons that might be learned come with caveats. A quick release with zero promotion and zero audience is going to be little better than slow releases, I suspect.