• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Evolution and Fantasy: Spirit of Change

Oomatu

Closed Account
Before I go into this topic, let me state my actual beliefs on the matter... I do NOT believe evolution [alone] can describe the complexity or origin on life on this planet. That being said, I am not looking to start any theistic arguments with anyone, so please don't. In this topic I am discussing micro-evolution, which pretty much everyone can agree exists.

In my book Islandfall, there is a abstract/spiritual term called "Lhihana Onoki", meaning spirit of change. It is the idea that the children of those who experience hardship are better suited to deal with those hardships. The 'humans' in my book, or Kua, are divided biologically into eight or nine species, all with the same life-spark. Lhihana Onoki is there way of describing why there are so many kinds of kua, and why each are best suited to surviving hardship.

This is partially true. If you read my post in worldbuilding > http://mythicscribes.com/forums/world-building/15522-oomara-world-8-years-making.html < you'd know that the kua were originally modified copies of a species of a-biologic creature called the Shaku. The Shaku were a highly 'malleable' creature, since they were not organic. The kua inherited some of this adaptability from them, and can adapt to a new environment in a matter of a few generations.

Lhihana Onoki has not always worked in the favor of the Kua. Of the nine variants of kua, two are feral. One race, usually referred to as the forgotten, were trapped underground for thousands of years. They rapidly mutated into blind, pale, and flesh-hungry creatures. The other species, the Jaranae (wild ones), were trapped outside the Bridges fail-safe shield after the flood. Limited food and harsh environments twisted their children into deformed cannibals, calling back to their Shaku origins.

Before the Vakai Crisis, there are small groups of ju'kua who worship Lhihana Onoki, and live harsh lives in the swamps hoping to bear stronger offspring. The sect died out shortly after the Vakai Crisis, as the newfound exchange of culture that followed Reunification drowned it out. The idea, however, continues to live on... and demonstrates itself in the forgotten places in the world.

Last edited: