• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

First-time author

Joe McM

Minstrel
Hi everyone,
As indicated in the subject line, I'm a first-time author, not yet published but going the self-publishing route. My first novel is the first in a series of five. It's a spiritual fantasy with a target audience of young adults. I'm looking for a developmental editor. Are there any threads that cover this? Also, have any of you published via a self-publishing book company, perhaps that offers developmental editing?

I'll explore the other threads to see if there is but I thought I'd ask in my introduction. I've already had the book copyedited and this morning sent it to an artist to design the cover.

I had a blast writing the first book. The editing process, however important, has not been quite as enjoyable. Not surprised though. I came from a documentation department of a software company. So, I'm used to editors.

I hope you are all well.

Joe

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Howdy Joe, Welcome here.

What makes it a spiritual fantasy?

If you are past the copy edit, and looking for a cover, why would you want a developmental edit?

Joe McM

Minstrel
Howdy Joe, Welcome here.

What makes it a spiritual fantasy?

If you are past the copy edit, and looking for a cover, why would you want a developmental edit?
Hi PMMG,

The main character is a spirit healer. Briefly that's someone whose purpose is to help people remember their innate goodness and divine origins. By the way, the main character is six at the start of the novel, and through the course of his journey, learns of his gift.

As to why a developmental edit, I've read various articles and watched a number of youtube videos that advise it. I must admit that I was unsure. So, this morning I sent my manuscript to a friend who is a published author , to see if I need one. But until he does, he suggested that I investigate just in case, including the cost.

Joe

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well....typically, a developmental edit would come before a copy edit. If you are in copy edit, you are already past the point of it, which is why I ask.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Well....typically, a developmental edit would come before a copy edit. If you are in copy edit, you are already past the point of it, which is why I ask.
Yep. I knew that. But, I knew a person who was a copyeditor. She used to work for me. So, I went with that. Thanks for asking.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Does your copy editor friend feel they could not also be helpful with development?

Anyway...Some here have used editors. I went to reesdy to find mine. They are usually not cheap. There are many here who could probably help you with development if you feel you need that.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Does your copy editor friend feel they could not also be helpful with development?

Anyway...Some here have used editors. I went to reesdy to find mine. They are usually not cheap. There are many here who could probably help you with development if you feel you need that.
Thanks. I’ve heard of Reedsy. I like that you can choose an editor based on the genre.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Unless you are feeling your story could still use some work, I think I would not seek a developmental editor if I was already at the cover and send it out stage. A development one might have you changing a bit. That could send you back to copy edit, and possibly cause the cover to need adjustment.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Have you been through a beta reader process?
I guess I would call my author friend who is reading it now a beta reader. I’ve thought of a few others. But have not asked them yet. I did have two other friends read an early version of a chapter last December. I know I’m not following the usual process. But I kind of like that, as much of life my I was a rule follower.

Joe McM

Minstrel
Unless you are feeling your story could still use some work, I think I would not seek a developmental editor if I was already at the cover and send it out stage. A development one might have you changing a bit. That could send you back to copy edit, and possible cause the cover to need adjustment.
Good point. I‘ll see what my author friend says.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I recently went through the editor process. I am actually not sure what to think about it. You really need more than one editor to fairly assess them, but they are expensive. I'd say, I was expecting more, but what was assessed did give me reason to investigate if it could be better. I am still applying changes. But i am not sure if a different editor would have been better, or if this one was right on.

If you go down the dev editor path, I'd be interested to compare notes when you are done.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I guess I would call my author friend who is reading it now a beta reader. I’ve thought of a few others. But have not asked them yet. I did have two other friends read an early version of a chapter last December. I know I’m not following the usual process. But I kind of like that, as much of life my I was a rule follower.

Well....its not really breaking rules to not have these. Having these helps you to get closer to your best work and presentation. Its always up to you when you are ready to show it to the world.

Joe McM

Minstrel
I recently went through the editor process. I am actually not sure what to think about it. You really need more than one editor to fairly assess them, but they are expensive. I'd say, I was expecting more, but what was assessed did give me reason to investigate if it could be better. I am still applying changes. But i am not sure if a different editor would have been better, or if this one was right on.

If you go down the dev editor path, I'd be interested to compare notes when you are done.
My trusted my copyeditor because I knew her. Although, I knew her more for technical editing. And she had only edited a couple novels before mine. Although she wasn’t perfect, what she provided was invaluable. But the cost is the issue. She charged me a low rate because of her limited experience. Since I’m retired, I have to stick to my budget. Hence, the concern about paying for a professional developmental edit. But, you‘re right that I might not need it. I may reach out to another friend who has published a number of books, via traditional publishing. I’m lucky that much of my career was is technical publications. A few of them are working on their own novels.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...if you send me the contact info for your friend, I might send her more work in the future. ;) (course, you can ask her first).

Do you think she is one who enjoys fiction, and fantasy?

Joe McM

Minstrel
Well...if you send me the contact info for your friend, I might send her more work in the future. ;) (course, you can ask her first).

Do you think she is one who enjoys fiction, and fantasy?
I‘ll reach out to her and ask. I don’t really know what she likes to read. She has attended Renaissance Fairs if that helps. If you want to send me an email with a little info about yourself and what you write, I can provide that to her. My email is [email protected].

Ned Marcus

Maester
If you're paying money for a developmental edit, make sure to get a sample edit first. Usually editors charge a little for this, but it's worth it. I've worked successfully with developmental editors, but you need one who works with and enjoys the type of fiction you write.