• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Frosty Feet

kjboe

Dreamer
Hello all, im in the middle of writing my first attempt at a book. However, im starting to doubt myself about the story line, the characters and the way in which i am writing.

Any body reassure me that I'm not the only one this has happened to?

Thanks, Im new here too, so be nice.

Roc

Troubadour
Oh yes, I feel the same way a lot too, like I'm not writing very well, the characters aren't 3d, it's boring. But then I realized, all first drafts SUCK, Tolkien's did, Rowling's did, King's do, ALL FIRST DRAFTS SUCK, just remember that.

Good luck :D

-writing is anarchy-

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Roc said:
Oh yes, I feel the same way a lot too, like I'm not writing very well, the characters aren't 3d, it's boring. But then I realized, all first drafts SUCK, Tolkien's did, Rowling's did, King's do, ALL FIRST DRAFTS SUCK, just remember that.

Good luck :D

-writing is anarchy-

Roc is right..... Books aren't written on the 1st draft. They're written in revision.

Telcontar

Staff
Hello all, im in the middle of writing my first attempt at a book. However, im starting to doubt myself about the story line, the characters and the way in which i am writing.

Any body reassure me that I'm not the only one this has happened to?

Thanks, Im new here too, so be nice.

It will come and go. Ignore it, and finish the book. I still get the feeling about work that is published and out there. Just part of being a writer.

kjboe

Dreamer
Yea i've read that quite alot on the forums, write, revise, re write. I suppose that is the fun of it all. I cant wait to get really stuck into it and get it revised. Its fantastic that there are no limits. Its my world and my idea.

Thanks so much. This site is looking very helpful already.

Thanks again.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Doubts inevitably creep into longer works. I think it is part of the process. There is no right or wrong way to approach this, and you may find that what works for one story may not work for another. For example, with a short story you may well find that a first draft provides a complete project (much less likely for a novel, imo). Then, the next short story you write may be revised, rewritten, redirected, or torn up and started over five times before you get on the right track. Just realize that all of these things are part of a process that may never be the same twice. In the end, your final product will be better for it.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Yea i've read that quite alot on the forums, write, revise, re write. I suppose that is the fun of it all. I cant wait to get really stuck into it and get it revised. Its fantastic that there are no limits. Its my world and my idea.

Thanks so much. This site is looking very helpful already.

Thanks again.

I read books about writing for nearly a decade before I finally put, metaphorically, pen to paper. I edited and re-edited a scene and took it to a writing group, thinking it was pretty hot stuff.

They tore it to pieces. I could barely see the black typeface for all the red ink. The process was quite painful.

However, as I kept going back and making the corrections they suggested, my writing has gotten better and better. If you can stand the criticism, I'd suggest posting in the Showcase section and asking for critiques. Your piece will likely get torn up, but, in the long run, you'll be better off for it.

Hope this helps.

Light

Dreamer
I like to have close friends (who I can trust) read chapters of my written work in emails. If they like it they're quicker to compliment you then someone you don't know as well. They can give constructive criticism without blowing your confidence to smithereens, sort of like a ladder up to the major criticisms needed to refine the style.

Claire

Scribe
I've written things and read over them and thought they were pretty darn great, only to realize later that they didn't fit with where the story was going, or didn't accomplish what I needed to accomplish with that scene or just generally sucked overall. It happens. I'm kind of in the midst of being a bit overwhelmed myself, feeling like I have so much rewriting to do, but I know once I ride this emotional wave inland, I'll be back on track.

Just keep writing, just keep writing....

I personally like the fact that every failure leaves room for improvement. As for my own meager personal experience, I've discovered that I'm able to write fantastic things (imho :p), and still be able to be a borderline dimwit a few pages later. Thank the maker that I'm able to cover up all my mistakes later on. I don't know how far you've gotten, but I remember one point where everything just exploded inside my head. It was a very cool experience, until my girlfriend got pissed because I ran around being distracted by... well, everything - For me, that was where everything really took off, and it was also where I really got to know my characters.

So have faith young jedi.

Cheers ;)

kjboe

Dreamer
@Flemming Hansen, that made me giggle, thanks for the advice everyone, i really appreciate it all. I may very well post it into the critique some time. I'm used to criticism from being a musician hahaaa.

I know for a fact that i am going to go back, read it and rip the tits out of it myself anyway. im just trying my hardest to try not to go back and constantly read through it after each chapter, but i bought a note book and am jotting down various characters, ideas and places etc...

Again guys, thankyou sooooo much. These forums may well take over my life and therefore i may be sucked into the "dark side" ah....*wink *wink, Hansen.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The first novel I wrote, I started off confident. Then as the days wore on, that confidence ground away little by little as I started to lose my way. I had the end but I didn't know how to get there. There were days I'd thread my fingers into my hair, and in the silence, the little doubt monster would tell me, "You suck... You suck like a vacuum. You don't know what you're doing. You can't do this you wanna-be." But I kept plugging away. I kept studying writing and applying what I learning as I wrote. Then one day, there was no more to write. The first draft was done.

In the end the story still sucked and I ended up trunking it because too much effort to fix what was wrong with it. But at the end of it all, I learned sooooo much about myself, about the craft of writing, about what it takes finish something like a novel. I don't have trouble finishing stories anymore.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
My experience wasn't quite like Penpilot's. It started the same: I began my novel, and, after ten chapters or so, I realized that my writing pretty much sucked. I then worked hard at revising those chapters and building up my abilities. Once I became good enough, I finished the rough draft. I'm still working on the 2nd and 3rd drafts depending on the chapter, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

I've been writing seriously for 20 years and it's only in the last five years I've lost the doubt. It took me that long to discover and settle into my own natural style. Shortly after that, I was accepted for the first time.

Now I have no doubt because I understand my process (there are lots of drafts) and how long it will take to get the draft into presentable shape. I'm also really comfortable in my own authorial skin (after many years of trying too hard).

If you persist, through the years of rejection, you will get somewhere.