• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Germanic Influenced Gods

I need to come up with a pantheon for my germanic-influenced culture. I just have the worst time with names! Argh! I did do some research into old germanic religion and it was a mix of paganism and viking myth. Here's what I came up with:

Wodas (Derived from Woden, a germanic god)

Thuras (Derived from same pantheon as Woden, can't remember original name off the top of my head)

Freykas (" ")

Uther (also called Utherzieg)

Spieltyr (Tyr was an old nordic God sometimes involved in the german religion. And also the letters used in the name are a mix up of a real person's name who has influenced my work (not sure what that would be called??)

Keintol (Again, real person's name mixed up doesn't have any german reference behind it, just sounded cool and wanted to do a "shout-out" if you will)

A long time ago a friend of mine and I played a Fantasy video game (can't remember the name" and we named the character Drakken Von Dyspler so I might try to do something with that too.

Any suggestions would Really help me out!

Last edited:
Darn you! I retyped the whole thing because when I checked under Writting Questions it wasn't there and i thought it got deleted somehow. Then I see you moved it here so now I feel stupid! Can you please look at writting questions and delete/close my other thread called Germanic Influenced Gods (II)

JCFarnham

Auror
Sorry for the confusion. I believe you'll find more useful responses in this forum.

... away from the hordes of naming threads ;)

Sorry for the confusion. I believe you'll find more useful responses in this forum.

... away from the hordes of naming threads ;)

Well thank you. I have no problem coming up with a character's personality or frame, it's just those darn names that stump me!

Queshire

Istar
Woden's the germanic verson of Odin and I imagine thuras or whatever he's orignally called was the geman version of Thor. Same with the third one I imagine. I suggest doing more like the later two, the first three are pretty easy to tell the sorce from. Remember, a culture's gods revolve around what's most important to that culture.

Woden's the germanic verson of Odin and I imagine thuras or whatever he's orignally called was the geman version of Thor. Same with the third one I imagine. I suggest doing more like the later two, the first three are pretty easy to tell the sorce from. Remember, a culture's gods revolve around what's most important to that culture.

Thanks for the tips. I just need some ideas for some more names. I really like the Utherzieg name I came up with because it was purely original but yeah it's always nice to base stuff off of something. Does anybody have any specific names in mind?

Behind the Name: Random Name Generator

This is a name generator I use sometimes when I'm struggling with this kind of thing. There's a bunch of different options to choose, and I think the Ancient Germanic one would help you the most, though the regular German one would probably work as well.

Wow that is a REALLY helpful NG! I usually don't like NG because 99/100 times the names they generate are crap but the first 5 I tried I love! This is probably the best NG I have seen, and trust me, I have seen a lot of them

(One time I used a NG to find out what my ancient greek god name would be and i thought it was going to be serious and just use an already defined one (zeus, hades, etc.) but it said I was "Androsius, God of hazardous Driving Conditions & Toast)