• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Handling isolated characters?

Rullenzar

Troubadour
You could have her have a conflict with herself. I don't know if she's a prisoner or she accepts it but either way you could have her argue with herself. Moral conflict. She knows she needs to be in there but she hates being a prisoner so maybe she thinks about escaping as fun but doesn't really act on it, just her way of passing time. She could concoct all these crazy escape routes and whatnot which would give you free reign over describing the building shes in and the landscape around her, in an interesting manner.

ascanius

Inkling
wolves reach sexual maturity at about one year of age. And our dog bleed enough to notice at one year, so I wouldn't say that three is still too young.
Just a thought. You could have her question if she should be locked up, or maybe the internal dilemma about possible truths that your villain speaks of about her. Like she is evil and needs to be locked up so she cannot hurt others, and she believes it, but at the same time knows she is not a bad terrible person. Or she could try to find a way out, or try to see if she can master the wolf when she transforms, or try to transform at will. Or she could be starting to go mad. I kinda want to read your story to see what you have, and where your going to go.

Kit

Maester
Again I reference Stephen King. I know you said you aren't into horror, and these are more horror than "Eyes Of the Dragon" is- but you might peruse "Misery" and "Gerald's Game" as examples of characters who are imprisoned in a room alone with their own thoughts for the majority of a novel, yet all sorts of interesting things are going on both internally and externally. One thing I noticed that he did with both characters was that when you're alone and trapped for long periods, very small-seeming things become intensely important and absorbing.

Last edited:

Ralph Fg

Dreamer
I am not very experienced with writing, but I think you may try depicting the dialogues of minor characters. Say, you may want to spend a paragraph or two showing how people in the area discuss, gossip or speculate about such a mysterious lady. Those characters, of course, probably won't even be named, but I think you can tell the reader something about Diana through these, it may even help create an atmosphere of eerieness, which, if handled well, could suit the situation (you said that she is imprisoned).

Just some opinion from someone who is not very experienced in writing...

Drindome

Acolyte
I have read books where a character is isolated for a prolonged period of time and it was made not boring through a series of flashbacks that tell how the character got to where they are, their motivation, and where they are trying to get to. This is especially effective I think if you start out the isolation period planting a lot of questions into the reader's mind that will only be answered through these flashbacks. For example: the character keeps thinking about the loss of a loved one, what happened? Why are they no longer around? The character is wounded or disfigured, how? who did this?

Not sure if this will work for you but I can think of a lot of questions the readers would have about a werewolf's life that could be addressed through flashbacks.

SeverinR

Vala
People that don't have someone to talk to will have their mind active, focusing on some problem, some dream. Maybe even having problems sleeping because the mind won't stop thinking of the problem or event.
The other problem, if you don't have anyone to talk to, you tend to talk excessively when someone is around to talk too.
You also try to keep the conversation going no matter what. Tend to go on and on about some small detail to someone that has a normal social life outside the home.
Talking to pets, or objects or even to themselves, would be common.

Long term solitude can lead to insanity. I would guess the things talked too, would start talking back?

Keep her alone as long as you can keep it interesting. 1 paragraph, 1 scene, 1 chapter, what ever the length.
Remember the first chapters must grab the readers attention. I have dropped a book at 10 pages, a chapter, or even into the third chapter, because it got to boring or it didn't keep my attention.