1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Hello from Jan Conradie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jan Conradie, Oct 3, 2019.

1. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

First, I apologize for causing offense. I meant none, but that doesn't mean none was taken.

>Why then use Hastings to throw shade on my statement about small shield-wall skirmishes,
    That was sloppy on my part. I was referencing the only shieldwall battle I know about, which I know wasn't at all small. It's just that the shield wall did break--so they could attack, wasn't it? As I said previously, this is not at all my area.

As for offense vs defense, I think I did read you correctly, I just wasn't clear in my response. Your advancing characters form a shield wall at the last minute to go against the ones on defense. That was the part that surprised me. Repeating here that this far from my area of knowledge, I had never pictured the Saxon shieldwall in an advancing state after the manner of the Romans (more or less). I always picture them standing still. Being a historian, I am always eager to know the source when I learn something new.

So I went looking. Cornwell's web site is rich with information, including a long excerpt describing exactly a clash between shield walls. Of historical records I could find only one--a poem about the Battle of Maldon in 991. There's a good, detailed description of it in a thesis
    https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1949&context=all_theses
    Clearly my mental picture was wrong, though Cornwell's version actually has the attacker from a "swine head" formation, which is more like the ancient Germanic wedge formation. Still shields, just flanking walls rather than straight-on. Minor point.

Anyway, there's what I found. And I apologize again for giving offense. I often forget that I have Moderator under my name and that this can give a different tone to my comments, especially when making a stab at humor (the Hastings line). Stick around, Jan, and you can just ignore me.

Steerpike, Reaver and Black Dragon like this.