• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello

Muninn

I am a fantasy author-wannabe. At the moment, I am working towards writing a fantasy novel (obviously), and decided to join here to see if I could find some good discussions regarding fantasy-writing.

I enjoy worldbuilding. In fact, rather than thinking of stories and then building worlds for the stories to take place in, many of my ideas have been the result of building a world first, and then thinking, "What kind of story might take place here?". Most of these tend to fall in the High Fantasy genre, although I occasionally consider Heroic Fantasy as ideas.

I may not be able to contribute to discussions much, and it is quite likely that the quality of my writing is rather poor, but it is my hope that I may be able to improve in those areas. I look forward to participating in discussions as a member of these forums.

Bah! don't worry about how it looks it's what it says that matters. Your techniques can be adjusted as you get feedback and pick up knowledge from everyone else... welcome to the forums and I hope you have as much fun here as I do >^.^<

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Munnin!

What aspects of world building do you enjoy the most? For me, I've always enjoyed map making creating histories.

Muninn

My favorite world-building activity would probably have to be creating the various nations and determining their histories and how they interact with each other.

Map-making is an activity that I find enjoyable if I don't really have a purpose for the maps, but my maps usually seem somewhat fake and bland to me, so I generally use fractal-generators if I'm planning on actually using the map for something. That, and it's more interesting to think about how civilizations might have developed on a map I didn't design than on one that I did.

Welcome Muninn! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of knowledge! Looking forward to reading some of your work (or seeing some of your world)!

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I've been experimenting with fractal generators myself. I used one to create the geography for my current fantasy world. It definitely makes the process more interesting.