• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help keeping my plot on track?

Who says the characters have to have any involvement in bringing these people here? Remember, this character will have his own motivation too.

You have a way out, don't be too timid because you can't make it fit the corner you wrote yourself into. Run wild with it, let the things flow and see if you can get something going out of this change.

Agree! Don't let your original story idea, outline, etc. keep you from exploring new ideas and story lines. Iff you're first draft gets revised during edits, then surely your outline or story ideas can't be perfect. They are a draft of sorts too and subject to revision. Let the story flow and your imagination take over. I fully believe that letting stories tell themselves in this manner leads to better stories. Overly planned, massaged and edited work loses something. Life isn't planned that well so why should stories about life be?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Agree! Don't let your original story idea, outline, etc. keep you from exploring new ideas and story lines. Iff you're first draft gets revised during edits, then surely your outline or story ideas can't be perfect. They are a draft of sorts too and subject to revision. Let the story flow and your imagination take over. I fully believe that letting stories tell themselves in this manner leads to better stories. Overly planned, massaged and edited work loses something. Life isn't planned that well so why should stories about life be?

I agree with you to an extent, but there has to be a line somewhere. If nothing is set in stone, then the whole story could change between drafts, and it'll be harder to know where to stop.

Perhaps that might be what the story needs. Now, i don't want to discourage you, but you are in a corner for a reason. The story might SOUND sturdy, but it isn't right now. I'd recommend looking up the Excel sheets for Save the Cat and The Story Fix. They can give you a clearer idea of the steps needed to salvage what you can, but don't fight scraping what you have and starting from scratch. Sometimes that is what is needed.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
But I don't wanna start from scratch... *cuddles her darling* I've spent years on this story, even the first draft. I'm making a lot of changes right now, but there's a lot that I want to remain the same, too. The second half especially, but that doesn't mean the first half is going to be completely redone, just added to a fair bit.

*looks at her book and sighs*

Hm, never heard of those sheets. I'll look them up. Thanks. ^^