• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hi from the UK

Alexius

Acolyte
I'm not a published author but I have written for pleasure for some time and I am considering giving it a go. I love the fantasy genre because it's what I'm familiar with and it enables me to create new worlds from scratch. I have an arts background and my early influences were Tolkien, ancient history and folklore, FRPs (RuneQuest) Frank Frazetta, Ursula Le Guin, Elrik, Conan etc.

I wrote one Sci-fi novel about 2 years ago but I wanted to write a fantasy novel which would get past cliches and stereotypes. I'm what's called a 'seatser' I think; in other words, I entered my world with hardly any more knowledge than my first characters, who blazed the trail.

I try to keep it plot-driven and pacy. The stories do, in places, contain sex and violence and some bad language, but not for its own sake, just what the characters themselves have done. I try to get out of their way once events are moving and let them do their own thing.

I've since written 3 novels based in this world, which I needed to, in order to learn as much about it as I could before taking it any further, as I felt there were significant gaps in my own understanding. I'm glad I did, as I'm still tweaking my first novel with stuff I've gleaned from the third - though not changing the plot or over-doing it on the detail. Just the back-story for some otherwise minor characters is coming into focus and suggesting whole new possibilities.

I've heard about self-publishing on Amazon but I've no idea if that's the way to go, or even if my work is of good enough quality. So pretty clueless where to go from now.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Alexius, fellow UK Scribe
Good to have you here.
We have people [and more than a few animals - mythic or otherwise] on many different writing journeys so there is bound to be some information and guidance out there. A shift through some of the old topics around the forum may be a start.
Leap on in and enjoy!