• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How could a time traveller prove that she's travelled back from the future?

Ruby

Auror
I'd suggest that before you think of any of these details you should give more thought to how time traveling works in your story. What you can and can't do are the most important things you should work on. There's a system to everything, and creating one for time traveling would give you a solution to your problem.

Taking objects back and forth through time could have dangerous consequences. Imagine that someone came to you one day to give you a necklace, telling you that if you twist the stone while wearing it the color of your clothes would change. You might not believe him and laugh and chuck the necklace at him or you might be skeptical yet curious and try it on. Sure, that'd be a perfect way to prove that he is from the future, but then what? Someone else is bound to find out about the necklace, and if one person could, others could, too, and after some time, too many people would know and the secret would be out. Eventually, someone would kidnap the man who gave you the necklace and begin interrogating him endlessly, which might not serve the time-traveler well. They'd ask how to make the necklace and the man wouldn't know, so they'd want him to show them how to get more, which would force him to reveal his time traveling. I mean, you could write an entire story just about that!

If I were you, I'd just stick to having the MC befriending one character that the MC would tell him/her the truth but saying that they couldn't explain, or just keeping the whole thing a secret, one that the person you're trying to convince is going to find out on their own at a later time...
Hi Hedwig, funnily enough this is actually one of my subplots. As you say, the only way to deal with this is to write your own rules and stick to them. Maybe someone should put up a fantasy time travelling story challenge on here?

Hedwig2751

Hi Hedwig, funnily enough this is actually one of my subplots. As you say, the only way to deal with this is to write your own rules and stick to them. Maybe someone should put up a fantasy time travelling story challenge on here?

Hi, back, and merry Christmas :) If this is a subplot, I'm almost afraid to ask what your mainplot is... :p I think that kind of challenge would be a great idea! Do you have a suggestion?

Ruby

Auror
Hi, back, and merry Christmas :) If this is a subplot, I'm almost afraid to ask what your mainplot is... :p I think that kind of challenge would be a great idea! Do you have a suggestion?

Merry Christmas to you, Hedwig :) Well, how about a challenge to write a story about a warrior king who time travels to get revenge?