• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How did they water gardens way back when?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
While i do appreciate the expanded perspective i am still wrestling with a culture who has not gotten to digging a trench from the water to the garden having much else than a watering can to water with. I think the Chinese example of two pots with holes in them and walking between rows seems a tech period solution to this.

While i do appreciate the expanded perspective i am still wrestling with a culture who has not gotten to digging a trench from the water to the garden having much else than a watering can to water with. I think the Chinese example of two pots with holes in them and walking between rows seems a tech period solution to this.
No one ever said they hadn't gotten to digging a trench from the water to the garden. In fact, someone suggested up thread that they could have, and I accepted that possibility. I think they would have, unless the garden has enough groundwater for it not to be a concern.

Puck

Troubadour
Irrigation trenches for agriculture was certainly a thing. It is also quite possible it would have been worthwhile using irrigation for a large garden attached to a monastery or a noble household. For a smaller garden it may have been a bit ott (but that would of course depend on where the garden was located relative to surrounding water sources and agriculture.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Every garden I've ever watered had irrigation lines in the beds, or, at the very least, a hose and spigot. These characters wouldn't have any of that.

you had said that in your opening post. They have no irrigation lines. If they have irrigation, then they have a lot more options. Why not use that.

you had said that in your opening post. They have no irrigation lines. If they have irrigation, then they have a lot more options. Why not use that.
Irrigation lines in the beds means something like this: Soaker Hose Irrigation System for Garden Rows | Gardeners.com

I said my characters wouldn't have that. They wouldn't, in the absence of modern irrigation materials. I did not say they wouldn't have any irrigation system at all.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So....are you still wanting something different than a watering can, and irrigation trenches?

So....are you still wanting something different than a watering can, and irrigation trenches?
No. All I really wanted to know was how they might irrigate a home garden without the convenience of hoses and spigots. I've gotten plenty of usable answers.