• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do I write a good 'timid' character?

Before you ask, yeah, most of the depictions of this character type that I have personally seen are in video games and anime, but even in movies and books I feel like the 'token timid character' of the story is often, like way too timid. I personally really like this type of character when they're done well (especially when they have those short bursts of bravery) but sometimes I feel like the actual timid behaviors tend to overshadow the other parts of the character? (especially in anime, the 'main' personality trope is pretty extreme compared to the other parts of their personality) Like I realize that's the 'main' feature of the character. but still.

If your reference point is anime then I would say you’re not going to make a very well rounded character that escapes many ‘tropes’ to be honest. Anime is very exaggerated on the personality traits, and pretty reductionist in terms of them. All I would say is that if you’re going for an audience who is also interested in anime / manga culture then going for a recognisable trope is probably the right decision.

In terms of fantasy fiction that will speak to a wider audience, that will not only break down stereotypes etc, but will subvert them, you’ll probably need to ask yourself: how multifaceted your character is beyond ‘timid’, because that’s true to life isn’t it? Someone who comes across as timid isn’t defined by that. There’s always more going on. We’re all complex beings, and the way we present ourselves is a culmination of genetic and environmental factors.

If your reference point is anime then I would say you’re not going to make a very well rounded character that escapes many ‘tropes’ to be honest. Anime is very exaggerated on the personality traits, and pretty reductionist in terms of them. All I would say is that if you’re going for an audience who is also interested in anime / manga culture then going for a recognisable trope is probably the right decision.

In terms of fantasy fiction that will speak to a wider audience, that will not only break down stereotypes etc, but will subvert them, you’ll probably need to ask yourself: how multifaceted your character is beyond ‘timid’, because that’s true to life isn’t it? Someone who comes across as timid isn’t defined by that. There’s always more going on. We’re all complex beings, and the way we present ourselves is a culmination of genetic and environmental factors.
Yeah, I probably need to start asking myself more about the actual characters I'm writing, Tropes (even cliches, in moderation) are useful tools for finding a baseline, but if I'm gonna be a good writer of ANY trope, period, I need to examine the characters themselves more I think? At least that's what I'm getting from this post.

That said, I don't particularly target a specific crowd (other than young adults/adults) per say but a lot of what I write is inspired / a parody of what I personally like. Which is a wide range of nonsense that's tricky to write for non-anime/video game fans.

In general despite what I use for inspiration (namely anime and games) I try to appeal to a more 'general' audience. A lot of my ideas start out as 'ok this is cool for me cause I'm into x video game, how can I write my own similar story but for people who don't play them'

In regards to the character themselves (specifically the timid type) it can be hard to come up with why they're timid without over relying on tropes, or even worse, stereotypes. I guess a better word in place of 'good' would be believable/relatable, but obviously still a fantasy character.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
n general despite what I use for inspiration (namely anime and games) I try to appeal to a more 'general' audience. A lot of my ideas start out as 'ok this is cool for me cause I'm into x video game, how can I write my own similar story but for people who don't play them'

IMHO, try to expand your horizons. Read more broadly and consume genres outside of what you normally consume. If you're mostly influenced by anime and games, how are you ever going to encounter examples of how to reach audiences outside of those genres. Studying examples of how to do things is a great way to learn, but if you're only ever exposed to variations on the same examples, it's going to be tough to come up with other approaches.

What's the saying? "If the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail"

IMHO, try to expand your horizons. Read more broadly and consume genres outside of what you normally consume. If you're mostly influenced by anime and games, how are you ever going to encounter examples of how to reach audiences outside of those genres. Studying examples of how to do things is a great way to learn, but if you're only ever exposed to variations on the same examples, it's going to be tough to come up with other approaches.

What's the saying? "If the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail"
To be honest I've been kind of wanting to try reading again, but I am not sure what's good or remotely similar to the things I like.
My ability to read for long stretches is pretty bad though, i think it's mostly just the quietness.

Genly

Minstrel
From my naive perspective, "timid" could just be one aspect of a character's personality. A character could be timid with the opposite sex but ferocious in battle. A character could be an extremely confident merchant but be deathly afraid of his/her mother. Or timidity could just be a smoke-screen for a pyschopathic personality. Lots of possibilities.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
To be honest I've been kind of wanting to try reading again, but I am not sure what's good or remotely similar to the things I like.
My ability to read for long stretches is pretty bad though, i think it's mostly just the quietness.

Why not try something that's completely different than the things you normally like instead? The idea is to get out of your comfort zone. If you have issues reading, maybe try audio books. I know you can find audio books on youtube. I listen to audiobooks when I go for a run.

One of the best lessons I learned about "show, don't tell" I learned from reading a piece of contemporary literature. The book took place in a post-apartheid South Africa and won a Nobel Prize in Literature. When I first read it, most of it went over my head. All I saw was the surface level stuff. And at the moment, it was kind of *shrug*.

For some reason, over the years, that book would come in and out of my thoughts. Then one day, after I started to take writing more seriously, I had an aha moment, while driving, and I finally understood what the book was doing. IMHO, in that moment, I levelled up in my understanding of what "show, don't tell" really meant and the different ways it can be used, and it has helped my writing immensely.

I think this is a bit like the cute debate again in some ways. But giving it more thought I would reiterate my first comment that in creating a (I assume female) character who is timid - look at what that is saying other than a recognisable trope from anime.

I’ve read a fair amount of Japanese modern fiction and there are often running themes throughout, but it’s a far cry from anime or manga styles of characterisation. Japanese fiction is far more true to life, it’s often philosophical in nature, existential and even metaphysical, while bringing to life ordinary everyday characters and their daily lives.

What else have I learnt from reading Japanese fiction - where there has been a good translations of course - is that you can really learn a lot about an entire culture just from reading its fiction. But the caveat is that for me as a westerner, sometimes some of the things that are culturally normal or appropriate for Japan do not represent cultural norms over here.

So if you’re invested in Japanese culture via anime and you want your fantasy characters to be believable as real people then going in for common tropes is probably not the best way to go. For women in Japan who come across as timid, that might also translate as being demure or modest, which may be connoted as a positive attribute or personality trait. It’s a very different culture of that of western norms and ideals, and especially the expectation on how women should or shouldn’t act. In the west timid is often seen as a negative trait, shyness or an inability to socially integrate. Women in the western world are also not societally expected as much to be demure. That might be worth thinking about too.

If you’re going in for using common tropes found in anime then I think using parody and humour would be more of a suitable way to go.

Is this the kind of character that you would want to read about?

Would you be invested in the character without the visual overload of anime / animation?

Are you thinking about creating this character because they are sexually appealing, or are you creating a character that you think is appropriate for the story? Worth any (straight) male writer of female characters to think about, unless it is erotica, because 🥱 I don’t wanna read about someone’s fantasy woman. Otherwise give the male characters equal appeal.

That leads me on to audience. Who is your audience? Your readers?

I think that the fact you’ve even asked the question to me says that you are thinking critically, and that is no bad thing.

Standard layout like any other character in my opinion.
The character might keep to his or her self.
The character might be shy, yet perhaps knowledgeable.
Rather than being outgoing and extroverted.

I think this is a bit like the cute debate again in some ways. But giving it more thought I would reiterate my first comment that in creating a (I assume female) character who is timid - look at what that is saying other than a recognisable trope from anime.

I’ve read a fair amount of Japanese modern fiction and there are often running themes throughout, but it’s a far cry from anime or manga styles of characterisation. Japanese fiction is far more true to life, it’s often philosophical in nature, existential and even metaphysical, while bringing to life ordinary everyday characters and their daily lives.

What else have I learnt from reading Japanese fiction - where there has been a good translations of course - is that you can really learn a lot about an entire culture just from reading its fiction. But the caveat is that for me as a westerner, sometimes some of the things that are culturally normal or appropriate for Japan do not represent cultural norms over here.

So if you’re invested in Japanese culture via anime and you want your fantasy characters to be believable as real people then going in for common tropes is probably not the best way to go. For women in Japan who come across as timid, that might also translate as being demure or modest, which may be connoted as a positive attribute or personality trait. It’s a very different culture of that of western norms and ideals, and especially the expectation on how women should or shouldn’t act. In the west timid is often seen as a negative trait, shyness or an inability to socially integrate. Women in the western world are also not societally expected as much to be demure. That might be worth thinking about too.

If you’re going in for using common tropes found in anime then I think using parody and humour would be more of a suitable way to go.

Is this the kind of character that you would want to read about?

Would you be invested in the character without the visual overload of anime / animation?

Are you thinking about creating this character because they are sexually appealing, or are you creating a character that you think is appropriate for the story? Worth any (straight) male writer of female characters to think about, unless it is erotica, because 🥱 I don’t wanna read about someone’s fantasy woman. Otherwise give the male characters equal appeal.

That leads me on to audience. Who is your audience? Your readers?

I think that the fact you’ve even asked the question to me says that you are thinking critically, and that is no bad thing.
Yeah, I'm trying to start thinking of my characters more as people than a checklist of tropes. (although I do still like using tropes, even non anime ones, as a baseline/dna for a character) I know I've made a lot of similar topics, and I apologize if it's getting annoying (maybe I'll make some kind of mega thread? or something?) but that's more to do with me being genuinely curious if there is a 'specific' way to write x or y personality type well. I know when it comes to characters being good, it has a lot more to do with their purpose in the story and their relationships with other characters. Most of the time the question isn't about 'ok how do I actually ya know do it' but more 'how is it done well and what are some 'traps' to avoid when writing x type of character'

When I'm writing any sort of character, my main goal is to make them enjoyable to be around, even if they're a manic, moustache twirling villain. (unless the goal is for the reader to despise that character, then I write them accordingly) I often want them to be entertaining to watch regardless of their role in the story. This is probably why I struggle with male characters sometimes, cause even for normal reasons I'm not as interested in them. I usually do my best to treat my male characters and female characters the same, but I gravitate toward female characters more. I think it's cause it's easier to 'detach' myself from them while I'm writing them, if that makes sense?

Regarding 'sex appeal' I have a very particular stance about that, and this goes for video games/other media I enjoy too. If I feel like this is that character's role, I will find some way to fulfil that role. But other than that, I try to avoid relying purely on that to make a character enjoyable. (either gender) It drives me insane when video games do that because it's often so blatant. (and at this point, anime is unsalvageable on that front) Most of the stories I write don't really need that stuff to begin with. So personally unless it's something like Bayonetta where it's a self aware humor thing, I don't like that kinda content in my stories.

Why are they timid? Why is a timid person going on a quest/adventure/etc?

That needs to be explored, whatever else you do.

What circumstances could make them rise above their timidity?

Try not to call him Tim.

Why are they timid? Why is a timid person going on a quest/adventure/etc?

That needs to be explored, whatever else you do.

What circumstances could make them rise above their timidity?

Try not to call him Tim.
I was thinking of making the character comically strong (like strong enough to have a punch up with the hulk and win) but their disposition as a person is comically timid. (the timidness is only one side of their personality, but you'd have to be blind to not notice it) Their whole growth as a character could be overcoming their timid ness, and eventually they become an actual adventurer. The whole thing is finding a balance of their two main aspects.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm gonna go back to, characters are more than a set of traits. To be fleshed out, they need to have wants, struggles, obstacles, failures and hurts, both internally and externally. Often, characters become compelling when they are removed from the safe and familiar and put into a world they must navigate that is almost the opposite of what they would want.

A timid character should be challenged on that, and have to overcome it to achieve their goals.