• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you share your world with the real world?

GaldortheGreat

Hi All. I'm new here. So still learning. I have been working on a world for a few years now, but only for myself so far. I haven't really shared it with anyone outside of trying to make a fictional story based in the world. I am curious, though. How do all of you share your worlds with others? Do you write fiction or play rpgs in your world with friends? Or is it just a hobby for you to keep to yourself?

Like a dwarf in a catapult, I have a few places that my world building gets targeted and then launched at.

Mostly here though. Sure, it's art of my writing in general, but this forum in general is where I go to talk of it, see how some of it may or may not work and properly gush over creating the food in it. That and the chat here. Otherwise I have at least one discord hang out with old friends from other forums and places that we show each other our worlds with too.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I had a game world I shared with friends through gaming. Some of my earliest short stories were placed in it, but...I dumped it when I too writing seriously, as I wanted nothing in it, that was someone else property. My current writing world is entirely my own, and I share it through publishing the story. And sometimes in short stories here are elsewhere. I suppose I share it with some just by talking about it in person, but its not like people ask me about it alot.

JBCrowson

Inkling
its not like people ask me about it a lot.

I find that too - no one ever asks me "So, what's happening in your fantasy world this week?". I'm a bit Gollum like with my fantasy world - I sit and stroke / polish it while muttering "My precioussss". If someone else comes near I shriek "thieves!" at the top of my lungs, or occasionally drink whisky (never whiskey) - hence the new avatar.

JBCrowson

Inkling
Like a dwarf in a catapult

I imagine that as "Mmm nice roomy hammock this. Odd looking frame though don't you think Baliiiiiiiiiiiiiin." Crunch.