• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How many words do you have per page?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
As the title says. I'd like some insight on what your general word range (per page) is when it comes to lengthier works (novellas/novels).

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Manuscript format comes to about 250 words per page. It leaves a lot of space on the page for editing notes. When people talk about page counts in the abstract (i.e., without a physical book on hand), that's usually what they mean.

My own WIP uses 1.25 line spacing and comes closer to 500 words per page. I've no idea if or how I'll want to change that when it comes time to print.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Generally I expect something along these lines

1-500 WordsMicro Fiction
1-1000 WordsFlash
1000-10,000 WordsShort Story
10,000-50,000 WordsNovella
50,000-100,000 WordsNovel
100,000+ WordsEpic

None are exact. Novels I expect to be 80-120K. Short Stories usually get too long if they pass 8,000 words.

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Generally I expect something along these lines

1-500 words -Micro
1-1000K Flash
1-10,000K Short story
1-50,000K Novella
1-100,000K Novel
1-100,000K+ Epic

None are exact. Novels i expect to be 80-120K.
Those are total word counts for different types of fiction. This thread is for "per page" word counts.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Manuscript format comes to about 250 words per page. It leaves a lot of space on the page for editing notes. When people talk about page counts in the abstract (i.e., without a physical book on hand), that's usually what they mean.

My own WIP uses 1.25 line spacing and comes closer to 500 words per page. I've no idea if or how I'll want to change that when it comes time to print.
My WIP also averages 500 words per page, but I wonder if that will make for an unpleasant reading experience. 250 might be more reasonable.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Wouldn't the difference between 500 and 250 words per page just be a font issue?
Sure? I know how to change 500 into 250 if that's what you mean ;) Question is which makes for a more pleasant reading experience.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So...I have Atticus to format the book. Looking at its defaults, it appears to be using Garamond Font at size 11 for the main body of the text. That is around 300 WPP.

The Trim size is 5x8.

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Hadn't thought of trim size, though I have some experience with it for my poetry collection. My WIP is sized at 12 written in Times New Roman, which nets me 500 or so words per page. It reads well as is, though I suppose once it is transferred to paper a larger font or a smaller page size would be in order.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I should say, in atticus, it does show garamond as being the font, but the size is not selectable, as it is in the other sections. I am estimating 11 due the PDF I exported. It might be 10.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
5x8 is a typical paper back.

They have other trim sizes, but i'd have to some digging to see what goes to what.

They have 5.25x8, 5.5x8.5 and 6x9, 6x9 i think is for hard covers.

They also have 4.25x7 for mass market paperbacks.

If you want a digital copy, they may have different settings.

On their IPAD setting the default font is Palatino, and the size is 4, but the size is not using the same scale as the print copy, its more a slider of smallest, smaller, small, middle, large....

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I have used 5.5x8.5 for my hardcover, though the formatting of the text does not cover the full page as a prose work would. I am not certain if I'll opt for self-publishing once more or try and find a publisher, but I'm interested to see what word counts people opt for who do go the former route.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
In atticus, they have symbols to show compatibility with Ingram spark, and KDP...

5.5x8.5 is compatible with both.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
This image is similar, only the Large Print Option is now Childrens Book option instead.

ingramspark-trim-sizes-atticus.png

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I assume 250-300, but it's a huge area of "it depends" again. In 6x9 paperback I do 11 point Baskerville... probably a Sherlock Holmes thing on my part... which is pretty easy reading. Even then, you can fudge around a bit with other settings. I had to pack Trail of Pyres down a bit to fit it into the Amazon page limit.

250 is also easy math, heh heh.

Reactions: Ban
500 wpp would have me squinting, but that’s just me. It’s not worth the cost to have an unreadable book, and margins are more important. I once bought a paperback where the margins were too small, and the words had become hidden in the binding. I put the book down out of frustration. It was a Zadie Smith novel called Swing Time. It’s a shame because it has a lovely cover and spine. Looks great on the shelf.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Along those lines. I had considered using a larger font to help readers. My wife cant read it less I make the font 14 or bigger. But...maybe a large print version.

Mrs. Smith probably used a vanity service ;)

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
500 wpp would have me squinting, but that’s just me. It’s not worth the cost to have an unreadable book, and margins are more important. I once bought a paperback where the margins were too small, and the words had become hidden in the binding. I put the book down out of frustration. It was a Zadie Smith novel called Swing Time. It’s a shame because it has a lovely cover and spine. Looks great on the shelf.
Most of my reading list consists of non-fiction history books, wherein small fonts are typical. I think I ought to adjust to the fiction consensus, even if it looks a little odd to me. Good part: A lot more pages to boast of ;)