• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to dethrone a Queen?

Anberith

Dreamer
I had though of her going on visits as the new Queen and in the beginning it will work, it's later in the book when she starts going to places that the queen wouldn't be expected to go, that's when it becomes a problem. I have to be able to justify her absence, it won't go unnoticed when she suddenly stops having so many royal obligations and doesn't return back home.

I read it somewhere that it's to much of a cliche that the main character is a king or prince that then goes on wild adventures like they have no responsibility at all. I don't want my story to fall into that category even though my main character happens to be a Queen.

Gurkhal

Auror
I had though of her going on visits as the new Queen and in the beginning it will work, it's later in the book when she starts going to places that the queen wouldn't be expected to go, that's when it becomes a problem. I have to be able to justify her absence, it won't go unnoticed when she suddenly stops having so many royal obligations and doesn't return back home.

I read it somewhere that it's to much of a cliche that the main character is a king or prince that then goes on wild adventures like they have no responsibility at all. I don't want my story to fall into that category even though my main character happens to be a Queen.

One thing you could do is to let your queen go on an adventure to ignore her duties, with reactions that follows it. Maybe alot of people don't want her back or the new regent runs the country into the ground and then she has to go back and make it come together again. If you want it grey then she could be tricked into an adventure, and the one who takes over does a splendid job andi s well loved, and does not want to give up the throne with the careless queen returns.

H. Y. Hill

Acolyte
I'm assuming that the Queen is supposed to be a good person. What you can do is have her be someone who sympathizes with the plight of peasants. She wants the peasants to live better and she wants to spend money on improving their lives (maybe higher wages or lower taxes). Now, this should piss off the council, who should be made up of mostly rich people, because they're of the impression that the queen would be using their money or she is taking away money making opportunities from them (if the society is feudal, then it will piss off the nobles because that's where they get a good portion of their income). You can then have the antagonist playing up this angle and get the council to dethrone the queen.

IMO, if you have a monarch and a council, it gives the impression that the monarch isn't supreme. If she is, then why a council? Councils' role seems to be more of a check-and-balance role. So, if they don't like the queen and they've enough support, queen can easily be dethroned.

IMO, if you have a monarch and a council, it gives the impression that the monarch isn't supreme. If she is, then why a council? Councils' role seems to be more of a check-and-balance role. So, if they don't like the queen and they've enough support, queen can easily be dethroned.

Some of that impression depends on if it's officially a council. You have a ruler (it's not a regency council), so instead of a council it might be just "the nobles at large" that are supposedly under the queen but (as often happened) have enough influence to take over if they pushed hard enough. (There might also be a "privy council" that just collects the queen's more trusted or unavoidable advisers to give their opinions, where a lot of their resentment might surface, but that's not the same as a council with actual power.) That is, if the queen is officially in control, no Magna Carta or such that split the power and made a real council.