• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Humanity for Non-humans?

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
I've gone back and forth more than a few times on this question.

To make a long history into a very short background setting. Even though these non-humans have no desire to be human or to be compared to humans, there were more than a few humans in the gene pool during their evolution.

One of my main protagonists is reflecting on her life. She's a warrior, seen battle, lost friends, etc and she's 'seen humanity at its best and its worst.'

I don't see her using the word 'humanity' to describe morals or lack there of, however I'm at a loss of any other word to use. In using 'humanity' it doesn't leave the reader with a 'huh?' moment.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
If the protagonist's people are not human, why not just say simply "she had seen her kind at their best and worst," or something similar?

I'm reminded of a quote from the Lord of the Rings movies. Aragorn says to Arwen, "I am mortal. You are elfkind." Which is true before Arwen makes the choice to be mortal, but Aragorn does have elven blood generations back in his ancestry, while Arwen has human blood in hers.

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
I can definitely work with that. I don't know why the word 'humanity' stuck so firmly with me that I couldn't see past it.

I should have also mentioned in the background set up, they're a space faring race and they've dealt with many races, human and non-human alike.