• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Illustrated Fiction

I've been reading a book, lately, that I've been very much enjoying, The Child Thief by Brom. One thing that I've noticed about this book is that, at the beginning of every chapter, there is an illustration. The illustrations, to me, make this book all the better. Now the author, from what I understand, published art books before publishing any novels, but that's besides the point. It made me think about something, not too many adult novels of our century have are illustrated. There once was a time where illustrating adult books was a thing but, in this day and age, not so much anymore. Why is that?

It sort of bothers me. I've considered, before, that I want to publish books with my own illustrations in them, but I'm not even sure if that is possible for me. I looked into this subject, and I read something from someone that said, "Illustrations take away from the pros." Is that what the problem is? Why is it that you don't see illustrations in adult fiction so much anymore? And how do you personally feel about illustration in adult fiction? Do you hate? Love it? Does it bother you?

I want to illustrate a few of my own adult novels. It's something I think I would like doing. I love to draw. I enjoy drawing my own characters and I think I'm rather good at it. Could I do this? Do you think anyone would publish that?

Last edited:
I think a big reason is that there aren't a lot of good writers who are also good illustrators, a lot of writers just don't have illustrations in mind when they're writing a story. I would assume that its also more expensive to print a book with illustrations instead of a book without illustrations.

I think it would be nice to have more illustrations in adult books. A good illustration can really enhance a story and help convey whats and going on and what the world is like to the reader.