• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Imagine if a reptilian, egg laying female dragon could hybridize with a human. What's reasonable?

BearBear

Archmage
Scenario:

1. So you have a dragon.
2. You have a human man under her "spell".
3. ...something certainly uninteresting happens...
4. Now you have an egg and when it hatches a human-looking infant emerges.

#4 I want this baby girl to be as human passing as possible. How? What is reasonable?
- physiology? Body temperature?
- mammary glands?
- belly button?
- special abilities?

Keep in mind that the dragons in my realm are already human hybrids but they were forcibly engineered and the first of their kind were brought from single cells to viable in machines. The second generation mated and laid eggs like a reptile. They have a body temperature something like a dinosaur might have had, they can survive low temperatures and it's "warm blooded" but say 60-80F (say 65F).

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think if I am going for this, we are already in the realm of anything can happen, so....

Would there be a belly button? That might be missing.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If we follow the yolk model, I would think not, or different...to the point that I would just avoid having to describe it by saying they didn't.

My first thoughts were to the egg, and would the egg hold together with a human like thing inside, but I figure nature would take care of that.

Would the dragon have to regurgitate stuff into its mouth while its a infant ;)

My second question is one of dilution. How many times does a hybrid mate with a human host before the hybrid is an insignificant part of the DNA?

Are you dragon hybrids shape shifters?

I think I would buy anything that came out of the egg, cause I am already accepting that it can happen. If it was a horror movie, I would expect some type of scaly human.

BearBear

Archmage
Are you dragon hybrids shape shifters?

Not physically no.

The dragons are human genetics enhanced but the base code is an actual reptile. This makes them appear scaly with claws and a muscular build with very little "fat", no mammary glands, egg laying (only fertile ones) and their typical young eat meat on the first day out of the egg.

In this case, the infant wouldn't survive and may not be genetically capable of reproduction like a mule or liger.

I would expect some type of scaly human.

I want her to have some scales but in areas she can hide and where they can pass for a rare skin condition. I'm still thinking about her even though she actually played two scenes in other books already so there are at least two events that will have to coincide there. In those I described her vaguely, she doesn't have wings or a tail and she's otherwise not unlike a human in shape and her face is very human looking.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Typically, the dragons are shapeshfiters and shift into a human form to mate, is all.

And that would seem to be your answer to mammary glands.

I think you are safe to make them appear anyway you like. Though, if you did not give her some dragon features, what would be the point? I think I would buy just about anything, just as long as it was story consistent. A faint trace of scales would be cool.
7d8ee6d909760f21fef128e1fca0e746.jpg

This woman from Farscape had a great makeup job. Her scales would only show in the light. Maybe something similar.

My thoughts would be about symbiosis, because to bear offspring either mutualism or commensalism would occur - or parasitism - but that would cause the ‘mother’ dragon to either die or be caused harm.

So this poses a deeper question, with mutualism for example both the offspring and mother benefit, and essentially ‘imprint’ new genetic information onto each other. So would the process of hybridisation cause a stronger genetic bond further along the bloodline or would it be weakened? Would a human-dragon hybrid be as resilient as a full blooded dragon?

Would the yolk be a placenta-yolk hybrid?

BearBear

Archmage
So would the process of hybridisation cause a stronger genetic bond further along the bloodline or would it be weakened? Would a human-dragon hybrid be as resilient as a full blooded dragon?

I doubt she'd be more resilient than her mother. There are distinct advantages because of the way dragons age in my lore, they have a form gigantism and die young. She wouldn't have this. If I could have my way, she'd have cold resistance, lower body temperature, and a strictky carnivorous appetite, she'd have tougher skin, but not fully scaled, above average intelligence and a hint of mind domination that she doesn't consiously know about nor can control. Dragons in my lore are masters of mind domination and illusions. (Rather than being actual shapeshifters).

As far as bloodline, it would be hard to tell until she manages to mate if she ever did. Would she be like a mule and be infertile or perhaps if she found a partner like herself could they have normal human children or full dragons? That is all kind of up to the way the story shakes out. Could their new bloodline be purified and refined? Idk yet.

Would the yolk be a placenta-yolk hybrid?
There are two non-placental mammals on Earth, the Platypus and the Echidnas. Both have mammary glands, let their young milk, and lay eggs. This is kind of the path this would have taken I presume, say if this new hybrid girl may actually lay eggs.

I doubt she'd be more resilient than her mother. There are distinct advantages because of the way dragons age in my lore, they have a form gigantism and die young. She wouldn't have this. If I could have my way, she'd have cold resistance, lower body temperature, and a strictky carnivorous appetite, she'd have tougher skin, but not fully scaled, above average intelligence and a hint of mind domination that she doesn't consiously know about nor can control. Dragons in my lore are masters of mind domination and illusions. (Rather than being actual shapeshifters).

As far as bloodline, it would be hard to tell until she manages to mate if she ever did. Would she be like a mule and be infertile or perhaps if she found a partner like herself could they have normal human children or full dragons? That is all kind of up to the way the story shakes out. Could their new bloodline be purified and refined? Idk yet.

There are two non-placental mammals on Earth, the Platypus and the Echidnas. Both have mammary glands, let their young milk, and lay eggs. This is kind of the path this would have taken I presume, say if this new hybrid girl may actually lay eggs.
if the hybridisation wouldn’t cause heightened resilience then the human-dragon hybrid would be more of a liability - likened to a bulldog, where there are obvious health implications. Humans can’t tolerate cool temps for prolonged periods of time, especially the young, so would the hybrid by able to suddenly tolerate cooler temps? Would there be disease resistance or not? Would the breastfeeding process offer additional benefits to both mother and child, neither or just one sided?

Rather than the bloodline being ‘purified’, perhaps question whether it would be improved or worsened. Humans as an example become strengthened by the process of having mixed racial backgrounds resulting in congenital disease resistance etc.

I mean anything can be anything in fantasy world but since you asked…

As far as bloodline, it would be hard to tell until she manages to mate if she ever did. Would she be like a mule and be infertile or perhaps if she found a partner like herself could they have normal human children or full dragons?
I mean you’re going to need to describe the mechanics of how this happened in the first place.

BearBear

Archmage
Humans can’t tolerate cool temps for prolonged periods of time, especially the young, so would the hybrid by able to suddenly tolerate cooler temps? Would there be disease resistance or not? Would the breastfeeding process offer additional benefits to both mother and child, neither or just one sided?

That's my thought, give her cold tolerance similar to the dragons who are very cold resistant and immune to frostbite due to an "inner fire".

Disease that affect humans do not affect dragons normally, think of it like trying to give a lizard a cold. They also have very resilient lungs, antiseptic mouths (like dogs in result) and are immune to poisoning.

Dragons don't have working mammary glands but they do have chests (not like human breasts) and vestigial nipples closer to their armpits. I want this particular hybrid to be human-like there so she would given she had human-like offspring. I presume as a baby she was human-like and breastmilk is technically drank by carnivore young so that's fine.

I mean you’re going to need to describe the mechanics of how this happened in the first place.

I'll leave that up to Japan to describe in comic form.

This just has me kind of thinking a bit about an idea I have of a witch falling in love with a dragon. Have thought about the idea of dragons being able to shape shift since I've read that in some myths they are able to, but not entirely sure about that. Also have thought about the dragon instead of being the witches lover being her guardian instead. Anyway just one of the many ideas I get in my head sometimes that I just can't get out on paper.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
A dragon and witch would make a good pair i think. But if they dont get written down its just stays waiting. Dont let it wait. Make it yours.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We actually do this. Our dragons can interbreed with just about anything else that's sentient. The form the baby takes at birth is dependent on the mother's stress hormones. If she's stressed and afraid, she'll lay an egg that can survive her death. But, your world, your rules.