• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Important: Pulling dragon's trail from smashwords

Malik

Auror
I am pulling Dragon's Trail from Smashwords until further notice.

If you pre-ordered the book on SW, PM me and I will send you a free copy. Please specify .epub, .pdf, or .mobi copy. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Malik

Auror
I have been trying for days, now, to upload the finished manuscript. They keep rejecting it with hundreds of errors, even after I strip it and reformat it per their guidelines. I'm done screwing around with it. It works just fine on Kindle, uploaded to Amazon no problem, and we've tried it on nine separate versions and apps and it looks beautiful. So I don't know what their glitch is.

Secondarily, when I first listed it for pre-order, they assigned their own ISBN; although it hadn't been uploaded when they assigned the ISBN (it was an "assetless pre-order"), they say they can't change it to one of my publisher's ISBNs, now. Which is in their TOS but it's kind of BS. So there's also that. My company, my book, my ISBN. Harrumph.

All this time I've been getting hit over the head with the insistence (from other authors) that I launch on KU / KDP Select, and these two things have combined to make that an easier decision. After the 90-day KDP-S/KU period, if I've sold enough that I can afford to pay someone to unscrew the alleged formatting errors -- looking at probably a hundred bucks -- I'll consider putting it back up with SW. Though at that point I may just use another distribution service that hits the same nodes: D2D or something.

Last edited:

Malik

Auror
It's all going to be fine. It inconveniences the people who pre-ordered the book for free on SW. They're the ones who are getting screwed, here. And again, if you're reading this and you're one of them, please let me know and I'll make it right.

Last edited: