• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Inspired by readers

Incanus

Auror
I've been working on a novella--which is arranged in chapters, serial-style, usually with cliffhanger endings--the first drafts of which I've shared with about 6 or 7 readers (I described it a little in the Writing Questions thread called "First person POV question").

So, one of the readers is a co-worker who is a pretty awesome artist; he's been really enjoying the story so far and helping me a little with it. After discussing what the MC looks like, he did a couple of sketches of the character, and I really love them. This guy really 'gets' this character. I made a copy of the sketches and now have them on my wall where I write. I'm just thrilled to have an image of my character to look at while I write about him--hugely inspiring.
That someone would take it upon themselves to do this very much gives me a feeling of 'doing something right'.

More recently, I shared the first couple of parts with a new reader (she's cool, we share the same birthday!) Unaware of the existence of the sketches mentioned above, she felt like drawing one of the creatures in the story. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm again greatly excited about it.

I've dabbled with art, like most folks, but I'm pretty poor at it. I lack the skills of a Jabrosky, or others here, so I never dreamed of seeing any of my characters or ideas rendered in this way.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my unexpected, unlooked-for happiness here.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
That's awesome, Incanus. Everything I know about art I learned from Blue's Clues, last year, watching it with my kids. So I definitely find it mystifying to see incredible pieces of work, and just awesome to think it would be connected to my work.

I think the visual artwork sparks my imagination so much because I understand it so little.