• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Introducing Cryptid-Like Characters (Fantasy Creatures)

Jerry

Minstrel
Assuming this fantasy-epic is like The Dark Crystal or stories as such, if there are a number of characters, main and side characters, that is not as simple as stating that "a wolf enters the forest" and etc... as these fantastical creatures in the story all differ and are unknown. Tried finding a book that has no humans in it and nothing but fantasy-type of made up creatures that could provide some insight, but how best to introduce these characters, each time one is introduced. What's the best approach when describing (if need be) and introducing all these characters not just by their name and or race so readers understand. A prelude or description page or...? Thanks!!

Queshire

Istar
I'd say this is a case where less is more. Focus on a few signature features to get across that it's not a human or normal animal and then after that focus on communicating the vibes you want. The reader's imagination will fill in the rest.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...if you have a MC to whom the creatures are unknown as well, you could just show it to us from their perspective.

If it is to be common knowledge, maybe a prolog explaining that the world is full of strange creatures, and putting some detail in that.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
To me its the same as introducing any other character or thing. Use your POV character, their knowledge , and how they see the world as a launching point. There isn't a need to describe everything. Describe enough to give the reader a working image and let their imaginations do the rest. Over describing can be tedious. It's not necessarily about the exact details. It's about what feel or presence the details you do provide. filtered through the eyes of the POV character, give to that cryptid/person/thing that will make them come alive.

Also you don't have to give the reader everything at once. You can paint a brief, preliminary picture and then drop in more and more as the story demands. Be very cautious about dropping an encyclopedia-like entry into the story. It will stop the story dead in its tracks, and if those parts aren't incredibly entertaining, you're going to lose the reader mighty quick.

JBCrowson

Troubadour
Assuming this fantasy-epic is like The Dark Crystal or stories as such, if there are a number of characters, main and side characters, that is not as simple as stating that "a wolf enters the forest" and etc... as these fantastical creatures in the story all differ and are unknown. Tried finding a book that has no humans in it and nothing but fantasy-type of made up creatures that could provide some insight, but how best to introduce these characters, each time one is introduced. What's the best approach when describing (if need be) and introducing all these characters not just by their name and or race so readers understand. A prelude or description page or...? Thanks!!
I think a glossary / bestiary might be helpful here - unless the reader knowing about your various critters before the story introduces them is a problem. With a bestiary you can give some basic background description without disrupting the flow of your actual story.

BJ Swabb

Sage
I am in the simular route of having so many creatures and characters with in my series that I have decided to place a section in the back of each novel where I explain, and describe the creatures and characters with in the volume. I will also probably make a creature / race encyclopedia like book at the very end of the series where it will have every creature listed with information about each one.