• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is this common or original?

Fyle

Inkling
Okay. So, to my shame, I have not done "that much" reading. I have just recently gotten into reading and writing.

I am currently reading Steven King's Dark Tower series and... I would like to break my own story down in a similar format in which he breaks chapters down into sub chapters.

For example:

Chapter 1 : title of the chapter

I : story

II : story

III : story

So, the book is 300 pages but only "four chapters," in actuality, it reads more like a bunch of little chapters by breaking down each chapter by number.

If I did this, would that be copying King, or is it a known technique that is done in the field?

Thanks (the explanation may be slightly rough, I did my best to put it into words) !

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If I did this, would that be copying King, or is it a known technique that is done in the field?

If you did this, well, by your own admission, you're copying him, BUT who cares. You're not copying his story. I don't know if it's common practice, but I'm 99.9% sure it's probably been done by other authors. This is generally the case with most things in writing.

This is just formatting. It's not story telling, which is more important. So just write and don't worry.

Fyle

Inkling
Okay lol.

Sounds fair enough. I think Penpilot the Dark Lord brings up the most comfortable point -

This is just formatting. It's not story telling, which is more important.

Thanks for the responses guys! (And yes, my story has no similarity to the Gunslinger)

Hi,

Why not just change the names. Instead of four chapters call them four parts. Then the sub parts become chapters. And hey presto - you're just doing what thousands of others have done all by changing a couple of words!

Cheers, Greg.

Mythopoet

Auror

It is a common technique to break a novel up into a few large "sections" and those sections into smaller "sections". What you choose to call those sections is a matter of personal choice.

If you want to break your novel up into sections like in the Dark Tower series, go ahead. as others have mentioned it is a formatting choice. After all, whatever way you want to format your story is up to you.

Incanus

Auror
You've basically gotten your answer: it is a question of format.

I just wanted to chime in with an observation. When I had read the first couple of chapters of Game of Thrones, I realized exactly where Martin got the idea for the 'character name as chapter title and POV' thing from. Later on I read about him talking about this and he confirmed it.

The bottom line: pick a format that lends itself to the story being told, a format that best supports and works with the story.

Fyle

Inkling
You've basically gotten your answer: it is a question of format.

I just wanted to chime in with an observation. When I had read the first couple of chapters of Game of Thrones, I realized exactly where Martin got the idea for the 'character name as chapter title and POV' thing from. Later on I read about him talking about this and he confirmed it.

The bottom line: pick a format that lends itself to the story being told, a format that best supports and works with the story.

Ya lol. I wanted to do that too, I really like it.

ASoIaF is so big though it would obviously feel like an imitation at this point in time.

Thanks!

Where did he get it from by the way?

Last edited:

Incanus

Auror
Where did he get it from by the way?

There was a sci-fi series in the early-to-mid ninties called The Gap Cycle by Stephen R. Donaldson. He didn't actually start on that particular format until the third book in the series (though it shows up in a limited way in the second book, in interludes).

I don't generally recommend this author, however, as he seems be controversial, in my experience. Folks tend to love or hate him.