• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Joseph Malik: Film Option

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
We were looking just north of Branson, Ozark area just south of Springfield. Flatter roads. My girls don't like the roller coasters around Table Rock.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We're about an hour and a half north of Springfield, on Lake Pomme de Terre, and we do our monthly shopping there. Means we're that far from any decent sushi. :D And don't get me started about the broadband. There isn't. We're seriously still on DSL, and if a butterfly farts anywhere near us it goes down.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Friggin' butterflies... and here we plant milkweeds for the friggin' monarchs! I knew the things were evil. I'm not familiar with that lake or the area, though we've certainly driven by.

We're about an hour and a half north of Springfield, on Lake Pomme de Terre, and we do our monthly shopping there. Means we're that far from any decent sushi. :D And don't get me started about the broadband. There isn't. We're seriously still on DSL, and if a butterfly farts anywhere near us it goes down.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
North of Springfield on Lake Potato... You're a Simpsons character, sorry to break it to you.

On the internet front, that's at least one benefit of living in the most densely-populated non-microstate in Europe. Still, endless woodland would be a nice condolence for that loss.

Last edited:

Mad Swede

Auror
DSC_1203 - kopia.JPG

This is home - and it's been the family home since 1550 (no, the house, barn and outbuildings aren't original, no thanks to the Danes). The lake, 70m deep, is in the trees behind me. Yes, it does have fiber broadband. And right now the lake is frozen and the fields and forest are covered in over a metre of snow.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Why do all writers here have homesteads? Tell me your eldritch ways right this second and let me partake in the bucolic glory! It's a rural conspiracy.

Okay I’m definitely not jealous of all you lot who are living the good life. Maybe I can contribute by saying that although I live in a typical broom cupboard sized house (I actually really love my house) I do rent a 125 Sq M plot of land not far from my house where I manage to do all of my homesteading dicking around - no buying supermarket onions for us! But seriously idyllic lives people! Is this the secret to a published book/s because all those who live in the middle of nowhere, have…

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
You had me right up until the snow, heh heh. But I think I could handle it.
View attachment 3660

This is home - and it's been the family home since 1550 (no, the house, barn and outbuildings aren't original, no thanks to the Danes). The lake, 70m deep, is in the trees behind me. Yes, it does have fiber broadband. And right now the lake is frozen and the fields and forest are covered in over a metre of snow.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
North of Springfield on Lake Potato... You're a Simpsons character, sorry to break it to you.

On the internet front, that's at least one benefit of living in the most densely-populated non-microstate in Europe. Still, endless woodland would be a nice condolence for that loss.
Well, it explains the hair.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Okay I’m definitely not jealous of all you lot who are living the good life. Maybe I can contribute by saying that although I live in a typical broom cupboard sized house (I actually really love my house) I do rent a 125 Sq M plot of land not far from my house where I manage to do all of my homesteading dicking around - no buying supermarket onions for us! But seriously idyllic lives people! Is this the secret to a published book/s because all those who live in the middle of nowhere, have…
*drops to knees, pleading* How do you stop the bloody deer from eating the onions... and absolutely every other food-ish plant I've tried. Now that we have actual sunshine (none to be found in our old house) Ihave roses, but they defend themselves. I have to let the dogs out every time I catch them in my petunias. Rotten brats.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
*drops to knees, pleading* How do you stop the bloody deer from eating the onions... and absolutely every other food-ish plant I've tried. Now that we have actual sunshine (none to be found in our old house) I have roses, but they defend themselves. I have to let the dogs out every time I catch them in my petunias. Rotten brats.
We had to put up a temporary fence around the garden to keep the moose out. Aplastic mesh thing about four feet high. We didn't do that for the potato patch, as the moose left those alone.

These days - after having two greenhouses collapse - my gardening is a row of plastic tubs on the balcony. The main crops are a kind of salad mix for sandwiches and radishes. Had a couple of tomato plants going, but in these parts, you need a greenhouse for them...and for cucumbers...and corn...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
*drops to knees, pleading* How do you stop the bloody deer from eating the onions... and absolutely every other food-ish plant I've tried. Now that we have actual sunshine (none to be found in our old house) Ihave roses, but they defend themselves. I have to let the dogs out every time I catch them in my petunias. Rotten brats.
Is this a trick question?

If it was me, they can have the onions.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
And here I found deer annoying! Moose must have some big bellies to fill. We finally got a 50-foot gothic arched grow tunnel, which helps with a lot of critters. We had a good, heavy snow this year, and it survived. Round might've came down, but the gothic bend adds a lot of strength. One of my favorite photos from around home... I call it "Hide the Tractor" after a storm. The other is the house getting a new roof after a storm that same season, LMAO. Somehow, I tend to have photos of bad stuff! Oh wait! The crane... This bird has been flying over the house for years, south in the morning and north in the afternoon. On this day, it decided to stop and check us out.

Hide the Tractor.jpg
Roofers.jpg
IMG_7964.jpeg
We had to put up a temporary fence around the garden to keep the moose out. Aplastic mesh thing about four feet high. We didn't do that for the potato patch, as the moose left those alone.

These days - after having two greenhouses collapse - my gardening is a row of plastic tubs on the balcony. The main crops are a kind of salad mix for sandwiches and radishes. Had a couple of tomato plants going, but in these parts, you need a greenhouse for them...and for cucumbers...and corn...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We hit a cow.

A few months before we moved, we seriously hit a cow with our van. It was raining and very dark, so when Jenny saw the brown cow jogging down the highway - back woods highway, but still not cow path - she was just barely able to swerve around it.

Never stood a chance of seeing the black cow trotting along in front.

Let me just say that cows are extremely large and my wife has supernatural reflexes that not even the ones beaten into me can surpass. She swerved and we did not nail the cow head-on.

We slapped it in the ass with my mirror. Its rump was even with my van-riding shoulder. Mirror immediately imbedded in the door. Cow let out an annoyed bellow and kept trotting down the highway.

Sometimes I see them looking at us over the fence as we drive past.

"Pics or it didn't happen!"
Moo.
1707017889490.jpeg

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Moose...

I have hit a couple of moose while behind the wheel.

The first was...thirty years ago. I was coming back from a job site in the early AM. Said moose was *in town* in the middle of a five-lane highway. I saw it and turned one way while slowing down. Moose turned the same way. I turned in the other direction. So did the moose. Then it was too late. I hit it in the butt at about 10 mph. The moose ran off and I was left with a dented hood.

The second time, I was a driver for a van service. I was in a line of traffic on a two-lane road. I had the four-second gap between me and the vehicle ahead of me. Unfortunately, the moose tried running across the road at the 1-second mark. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes before the moose hit the windshield. By the time I got off the phone with the boss, not only was the tow truck there, but the roadkill people were cutting up the carcass.

These days, the mommy moose bring their babies to my yard. _Apparently they deem it 'safe.' I got a pic or three of that if I could figure out how to post them.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Thinker, see the Attach files button on the bottom left of the text pane? That's how.

Or, you can bring the pics up in your File Explorer, Copy them one at a time, and then paste one at a time into the text pane. Wherever you leave your cursor is where they will appear.

Malik

Auror
*drops to knees, pleading* How do you stop the bloody deer from eating the onions... and absolutely every other food-ish plant I've tried. Now that we have actual sunshine (none to be found in our old house) Ihave roses, but they defend themselves. I have to let the dogs out every time I catch them in my petunias. Rotten brbrats.
We put up a 7' fence on a 4-6' boulder wall around the garden. And if they're on the property during deer season, I put one in the freezer.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1672506817935.jpg
    FB_IMG_1672506817935.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240106_114808.jpg
    20240106_114808.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231211_182341.jpg
    20231211_182341.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
That's nice! Love the stone look. Local stone? We have dirt, which is great for putting in fence posts, but boulders cost a fortune in these parts.

We put up a 7' fence on a 5' boulder wall around the garden. And if they get into the roses during deer season, I put them in the freezer.