• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jumping into the deep end...

Quillstine

Troubadour
You can’t stay on the shore forever, so I guess it’s time I got my toes in the surf! I've been writing since before I could walk, well okay that’s a rather drastic embellishment, but isn't that a liberty writers are allowed to take?
I have been writing for myself for as long as I can remember. I love it, to create a world and escape into something so fully. To sit at the end of a long day and scroll past thousands of words that’s have emanated from the tips of my very fingers, it’s amazing. That and I like my written friends a lot more then my real ones! But I am one of those, as I am sure all have once been, who suffer from the idea that to take it any further is just an ill-considered dream. Best leave that desire in its scabbard, where the pointy end can’t get anyone hurt.
So my stories sit and gather virtual dust once I am done with them, slowly chocking up a hard drive that’s now so old, it whirrrrrs like a record whenever I plug it in!
A few months ago however, on my birthday, my amazing wife (also my single audience member!) bought me a card. It has that brilliant Mark Twain Quote:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
and inside, she simply told me to start writing. My gift was a copy of Julia Cameron's “The Artist’s Way”, I knew there was a reason I married this woman!
We were going through a major relocation at the time, so I had several months of good excuses primed and ready to use in order to put it off! Now there expired, so here I am.
What I’ll say upfront, my grammar and spelling are below par, my ideas are horrid and my writing makes you feel like someone nearby is scraping long nails up a blackboard. But what I lack in skill and finesse, I more than make up with passion and willingness to improve.
Guess I am here to find a group of others like me, those who love fantasy and mystery and science fiction, those eclectic nerds, who love to write it.
In advance, thank you for welcoming me to your forum. I have been watching over it for months now and can’t tell you how anxious, yet excited I am to be here. It feels like I am on a first date!

GeekDavid

Auror
Glad to see a lurker come out of the shadows.

I won't repeat the warnings about cats and halflings in chairs, or about the dragon out back, because if you've been watching the forum you know all about those.

Jump into a discussion somewhere!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
The deep end is where the action is. Jump in and flail around wildly and I'm sure you'll swim in at least some direction. Best of luck! :)

SeverinR

Vala
"Jumping into the deep end... "

Please follow all the rules:
1.No diving, its not a deep as you think.
2.No jumping to conclusions.
3.No jumping the gun.
4.No cutoffs and bathing suits are required. There is rumor of after hour adult swim where suits are optional.
5.If the Dragon is in the pool, it is advised not to join, as it has been known to get a little rough while dunking people.
6.the pool is not a jacuzzi, if the ogres are in the pool and their is bubbles, it is advised to leave the area.

Welcome, tip your waitress or she might...never mind. Don't want to scare you away. :)

Quillstine

Troubadour
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Getting the impression this is a fairly dangerous jaunt. Still, invite dragons, trolls and half bloods to your party and what else can you expect! I'm here now so I might as well stay (*shovels money onto to the table for the waitress, lest he find out exactly what ServerinR was alluding too!*).
Next round is on me (*Nervous Smile*)!

SeverinR

Vala
We except all those who seek to be writers, we don't descriminate against giant lizard, one eyed troll, or the slow ogres,
half bloods or full bloods.
(Not really sure where the waitress fits into the above)
We welcome them all and we welcome you too.