• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Landforms

caters

Sage
My civilization on Kepler Bb is mainly underground and the part that is on the ground is mostly plains. In the 11th chapter they have a whole sequence of earthquakes for hours. A geologist named Leon comes to look at the fault line and notices that it is very deep and very hot.

Leon says "We have all survived the earthquakes but now the fault line is so deep and so hot that a volcano can form. If it does, lava will flow through our tunnels and into our homes. We have to get out of here fast. Everybody with the power of flight, line up in groups of 4. Everybody else, get out of the tunnels, buildings, and homes whether that requires digging or not."

And there turn out to be 400 people with the power of flight.

As Leon suspected a volcano forms.

Now I am thinking of drawing regional maps by hand but for me 3 landforms are the hardest.

Mountains are hard for me to draw mainly because of the white paper blending in with the snow. I have been told that the best way to draw something white is to use a white pencil on white paper but I can't see a difference between white paper alone and white paper with a white pencil because they are so similar that my brain thinks "These are both the same white. I can't tell them apart." when they might not be the same white.

Rivers are hard for me because I tend to draw them relatively straight but I know that rivers may start off straight but are never straight for long. The branching is also a problem for me because I always leave little gaps between the branches of the river and the main part of the river.

Volcanoes are hard because:

1) There are so many types of volcanoes
2) Lava flows themselves are as hard for me to draw as rivers because a lava flow is basically a river of lava
3) When I draw the summit of the primary vent of the volcano it always looks like the peak of a mountain has broken off and not like the primary vent of a volcano
4) I never know whether to draw smooth flowing lava, a lava fountain, or both since volcanoes can have lava flows and a lava fountain during the same eruption or have 1 or the other
5) I never know whether I should draw an active volcano, a dormant volcano, or an extinct volcano

I have problems with other landforms when I draw them but not as many or as bad as with these 3 landforms.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I have a suggestion for the white paper white snow problem... don't use white paper.
I have a legal pad of slightly yellow paper that I use for making notes [and yes I still make paper notes for some things].
As for the rest of it... don't sweat it. Your first map [every first map] will be drawn and redrawn a myriad of times as your story unfolds and things need to change. Quick sketches in pencil are great at this point as you can use them to build your world and an eraser can quickly fix/alter any problems you find.
As long as it makes sense to you.
You will be amazed at how different you final map is from your first attempt. At least I always am...

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Three suggestions, in three sizes. The small one first.

Don't draw your rivers first, draw the mountains. Rivers flow between them. That will give you your twists and turns, _and_ they'll make geographic sense. If you need smaller turns, add in hills. Later on you can learn about flatlands and oxbows.

The larger suggestion: pay a visit to the Cartographers Guild.

Biggest suggestion: take a look at existing maps. I like older ones (early and mid-20thc) because they really pack in the detail. Look at three aspects: the hills and mountains, seas (all rivers flow into them), and deltas (think Amazon or Mississippi). Just for practice, copy a couple (does anyone even use onion skin paper any more?). There's something about physically following the route of a river (or a coastline or other features) that helps internalize geography.